Cheating in online games

RobMk6

Reason I'm asking is I'm fairly new to gaming online with a console and im getting pi$$ed off with something,

There's your reason.

Sorry to tell you mate, but more than likely all the "cheat" talk, and "internet lag" etc etc are all crap. It's just because you're not very good at it. Nothing personal, but you can't seriously expect to just start online gaming and expect to be good?

Back in my undergraduate days I got hold of Battlefield 2 on the PC - and being a student I had plenty of spare time. First started playing the game online and I was terrible - nothing to do with lag, or wireless, or cheating, all to do with the fact I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. Eventually, I got a bit better, I could shoot people and kill them before they killed me. Then I started getting even better and getting kill streaks. My internet hadn't miraculously got faster (if anything, it had gone downhill), Id just got better.

There is actually a lot of skill required to gaming online, and it is very difficult, and there is always somebody better than you. There are things you need to remember though - aim for the head as the body is generally much better armoured. Use better weapons - annoyingly better weapons usually become available to you as you progress through the game, which is irritating as you need better weapons when you start off so that you can compete against better players.

If you want proof, go round to your mates house - who is good at an online FPS, black ops for example, and play against him one on one. He'll wipe the floor with you. I know, because thats what happens when I go round to my mates house.

Keep at it, you'll improve with time. It just takes practice.

<smugly grinning>

I was actually quite good straight off the bat.

of course massively juiced up reaction times due to my overactive thyroid gland might have something to do it (plus I played mostly Americans at first and as we all know....they tend to shoot their own side more often than shooting the enemy :pancake: )

that or frogs.........who as you can suspect....are a race of camping hiding shitbags :pancake: :pancake:

Rob, some basic techniques you might want to adopt as a first time player.

1. avoid solo playing, opt for team based games (deathmatch are the best option)

2. Don't be afraid to use the Hardcore team deathmatch option as this basically takes away a large amount of the advantages the long term player has against a newcomer, no killcams (so no way to id your location after killing), Enemies are hesitant to open fire on sight as the the team shooting safety's are turned off (meaning you get penalized for shooting your own team members), Respawning is quicker after death so your back in the game quicker.

3. avoid playing matches against teams (usually spot'able by similar names and team name) and instead opt for matches were the teams are more random.

4. Don't automatically assume a newly unlocked weapon is a better weapon (you'll often find the M4a1 assault rifle is better than the lvl70 unlockable AK47)

5. As a newcomer you should focus more of your techniques on keepin hidden (ninja & silencers are your friend)

6. Remember that the routes you find most convenient through different maps are likely the same for the opposition and use that info as a method to setup ambush points.

7. You will develop techniques and styles for each map, once you've found what works for you spend time perfecting that technique (best weapon for style, useful secondary and usable equipment)

8. Remain calm, no matter how many times you get killed and how much it frustrates you, rushing in will give them an easy kill. (my favorite technique is to single out a specific player on the opposition and be sure to pop him/her 2-3 times in the same manner which will often infuriate the person and cause them to make continued stupid mistakes that give me more easy kills)

9. when offered a killstreak unlock opt for lower down ones, more specifically ones that you might be able to string together (carepackage often gives you a multikill option like gunship, precision strike, harrier or even ac130......which will often supply you with enough kills to reach you next streak which for a noob Id recommend Sentry gun.... which in turn should get you to Harrier, avoid using attack heli. as harrier offers more kill chances, it strikes with a bomb run then hovers and machine guns)

10. Kill and reposition, don't be tempted to take up a vantage point and remain there just because you got a couple of kills, once you kill someone..... they know where you are and if their smart enough will simply flank you for a easy kill.

finally.....

11. When unlocked the heartbeat sensor it can seem like a dream attachment.....just beware that when you repeatedly use it you will become dependant on it and inevitably sacrifice the amount of attention you pay to your surroundings to watch the sensor display instead.......... I barely ever use it and get more kills and less deaths without it.

As has been said already, the 360 is riddled with cheating (in MW2).. hacked lobbies, jtag x-boxes (look it up), not to mention glitching out of the map

However, your main point in the original post is simply down to lag. How many times do you THINK you've made it round a corner, but you still get shot?! Bad connections to the host. I'd make sure you aren't downloading anything / someone else isn't when you're playing online as this will affect your connection :thumb:

Noooo just used to play Command and Conquer years ago,

However, your main point in the original post is simply down to lag. How many times do you THINK you've made it round a corner, but you still get shot?! Bad connections to the host. I'd make sure you aren't downloading anything / someone else isn't when you're playing online as this will affect your connection

its not all the time, just seems to be most of the time, Using a wireless connection but the xbox is no more than 6ft from the wireless source, using my brothers new xbox, not tried mine yet, which is wired.

I've made sure nothing else is downloading etc.

Is there any specific way to tell if anybody is cheating?

its not all the time, just seems to be most of the time, Using a wireless connection but the xbox is no more than 6ft from the wireless source, using my brothers new xbox, not tried mine yet, which is wired.

Is there any specific way to tell if anybody is cheating?

Ill say it again....bin the wireless, its prone to interference and signal distortion..... either of which cause lag, hardwire Ethernet cable or don't even bother imo.

as for telling whether someone is cheating.

10th prestige cheaters are easy to spot, they have high ranks but cant play for shite, the after match stats often show them dieing more often than killing.

Wall ghosters are more difficult as they've used a game glitch to pass through a solid surface and often cant be seen even tho they are able to shot at you.

Another one is "boosters" who basically join a match after pre-arranging a agreement before the match, they will then repeatedly attempt to join a match until they are placed in opposite teams, upon match start they will quickly seek each other out and one will take on the role of killer while the other is the victim.... this technique repeated will guarantee the killer a eventual nuke as long as he and his accomplice avoid the other match players.....nuke killstreak guarantees big points and therefore quicker rank advancement. (look for a team mate that spawns and immediately takes off in the direction of a secluded point on any specific map......I like to kill boosters as much as I like killing campers :pancake: )

care package cheaters are also quickly spotted when endless killstreak rewards seem to rain down from the sky almost endlessly and quite early on in a match (particularly common on the Mansion map)

Wall ghosters are more difficult as they've used a game glitch to pass through a solid surface and often cant be seen even tho they are able to shot at you.

I'm sure I saw someone on the 'Derailed' map, up in the air above a roof?

Another one is "boosters" who basically join a match after pre-arranging a agreement before the match, they will then repeatedly attempt to join a match until they are placed in opposite teams, upon match start they will quickly seek each other out and one will take on the role of killer while the other is the victim.... this technique repeated will guarantee the killer a eventual nuke as long as he and his accomplice avoid the other match players.....nuke killstreak guarantees big points and therefore quicker rank advancement. (look for a team mate that spawns and immediately takes off in the direction of a secluded point on any specific map......I like to kill boosters as much as I like killing campers )

Will keep an eye out for this, could be good huntin :roll:

care package cheaters are also quickly spotted when endless killstreak rewards seem to rain down from the sky almost endlessly and quite early on in a match (particularly common on the Mansion map)

This happened last night once or twice on the 'Favela' map, AC130s and The apaches almost from the off kept our team inside the buildings almost the whole match.

Edited by RobMk6