Investing in shares?

Craig855S

Does anyone on Evo own any shares?

A guy at work is constantly talking about his shares and checking on them on his phone, He has put almost 4 grand into some company (penny shares at the minute) and is hoping to see their price skyrocket when they acheive their goal (The company is trying to get their fingers in the pie that is the winter olympics of 2014...He thinks they'll suceed and become big but so far the shares have only lost money..anyway, thats his stupid fault.

What he did do the other day was watch the shares of one company increase 15 fold over 4 days (Company may have a cure for lukemia) and it got me curious. The idea of investing in a company like that and going from 4k to 50k in 4 days (or even going from 800 quid to 900 quid) is rather appealing, as is the prospect of "dividends" if I were to buy shares in a huuge company such as AT&T in america. Keep 3 grand in them and every 3 months you'll receive 150 quid in dividends..Much better than intrest from a bank account, and obviously with the share price likely to go up whilst you own the stocks when you come to sell them you may make money, and if the company gets bought out by someone then you'll make a right mint. It sounds appealing, but does anyone on here do it?

BTW I know that its easy to throw 4 grand away if you dont know what you're doing, that's why i'd only invest in solid companies for a dividend, or invest amounts im happy to lose on companies with risk (like this cancer cure, if it turns out not be work the stocks may end up being worthlesS)

I do.

Im currently doing pretty well.

Company %

BDEV -6.96 %

TSW +437.65 %

TPK +298.29 %

Total 91.54%

Barrat is my current downfall, I was about 28% up within a couple of weeks, but though better of selling and then they declined. Im very confident that they will provide a return of about 50% in a couple of years, and the bonus is that a couple of companies in construction have started paying dividends now. One of which is TPK, a 15p dividend for 2010 has been announced, so Ive already got back 7% of my initial investment.

If you buy based on who is currently paying dividend, I wouldn't expect any real movement on the price, so your profit will come from the dividends.

Making a good profit isn't as quick and easy as you have put across in your post, unless you know something that the city hasn't found out yet.

If you buy based on who is currently paying dividend, I wouldn't expect any real movement on the price, so your profit will come from the dividends.

Making a good profit isn't as quick and easy as you have put across in your post, unless you know something that the city hasn't found out yet.

I know getting a 15 fold increase, or even a 15% increase in 4 days is very rare and there is little chance of being quick enough to invest in such a company, but it obviously does happen, the other week someone would have bought LOADS of shares at .3 pence per share and sold at 5 pence per share 4 days later (or maybe they still own them shares, waiting for the cure to be certified and then the company will be worth a shitload)

As for the dividend figures, those are genuine.

I have got a few shares. I was even planning on buying more and just forgot about it.....since the drops the shares have more than doubled.

Trig, how do you buy your shares? charges per trade (buying and selling) how does the dividend get paid when you buy through a online trade system?, and do you get 100% of the dividend if you have only owned the shares for a week?

The shares I have are old school ones, paper based with a cheque for the dividend.

I use Halifax share dealing, its a reasonable price for the commission charges, there are loads of online trading accounts though. I have linked it to a regular current account to move funds through.

With the Halifax online share dealer account, trades are £9.95 (plus stamp duty on purchases) and the occasionally do 'Deal time' incentives where they waive the comission. Any dividends are paid into my share dealing account, so I can either invest or put them into my current account.

Rob, I think the company sets the rule on dividends. We announced a final dividend of 10p yesterday, which will be paid to shareholders on 31st May to those that owned the share on 4th May. I think there is a political element to when dividends ae paid

I'm looking into maybe buying some shares through the company I work for

I don't know alot at all about shares and markets ECT

there are two options as far as I can see

1st one is SHARESAVE

From what I can make of it I would get offered shares at an 'option price' at a 20% discount for a 5 year term and 10% for a 3 year term

So for instance if I went for the 3 year term and got my shares at 117p (at a 10% discount) and I put in say £50 a month would be £1800 invested over the 3 year period, This would buy me 1538 shares at 117p. I can opt to buy more shares or cash them in after the term is up So my understanding would be for example if i go to sell my shares and each share price on the market is 175p (thats what BT Group is at just now) This would result in a total at the end of £2691 so thats a total of £891.50 profit

The Other is called DIRECTSHARE

From what I can make out the contributions come out of my wage before tax is deducted and they can be removed anytime (if removed within 5 years there will be tax applied) if removed after no tax. they also offer divedends or somthing

Unless you're in a position to know something others don't then theres really only luck involved.

Advice is to look at the area you're in. The RAF etc, if any parts or contracts come up try and investigate which suppier is behind it and buy their shares. Just play smart dont try and buy shares in areas you'r not familiar with or you will make peanuts, or worse still lose money. And remember alot of what you read in the public domain is mis-direction, other traders want you to pee your money away.

I also suggest sitting back for six months and tracking various companies. By the end of the six month you will have a better trend analysis and you can make a more informed investment.

Hypathetically speaking (dont worry im not gonna be spending any money any time soon) arent oil companies and banks pretty safe bets? (Im thinking Santander and BP here)

BP shares are surely only going to carry on increasing as the oil price rises and their profits soar, and Santander are surely good because they're a very succesful multi national bank. Maybe even RBS may be a wise bet these days (They have reported today that they made a 1 billion loss over the last 12 months but that is an improvement from the 3 billion loss the year before, hopefuly 2011-2012 will see them make money instead of losing it)

I signed up to a game the other week called "virtual stock exchange" and I've started playing it a bit here and there, my investment in BP seems to be the only wise one I've made so far (up 0.6%)

Foxdie makes a good point. 2 of my stocks are in the construction industry (one of them the company I work for) so Ive got a good idea of what to expect.

Study the markets in depth before you take the plunge, information is king, if you dont arm yourself well then you are doomed to fail, unless you get really lucky.

Scottg17, we have a sharsave scheme that I opted into, they are usually very good, worst case you get your money back, best case, you make a killing. All you have to do is commit yourself to the term of the scheme or all you get is what you put in.

So sharesave is pretty much the safe option I gather, that would suit me well cause all im looking to do is get some savings behind me and possibly make some money along the way so anything above my invested amount would be a bonus to me

Craig, with the big, stable companies, you dont tend to see much of an increase, unless in BP's case, the american oilfield saga led to a big drop in value, which they are currently recovering from.

You also have to remember that unless they are paying big dividends, the larger companies shares cost alot, so you dont hold much for your money, so mediocre dividends dont pay much and value increase are small, so it becomes worthwhile looking at smaller firms where you get a larger holding for your money, but its more of a risk.

A little tip for you, the company I work for (Travis Perkins), we've just made a massive acquisition, there is bad news surrounding the housing market (interest rate rises on the horizon, further house price decline expected) and yesterday we announced that we have grown in a flat market, with plenty of headroom on our loans and a strong organic growth strategy in place. General market confidence has hit our price in the last couple of months and our price is about a £1 down on its 6 month high. The top bosses are confident we will become a FTSE 100 this year, and our share price will be 40% higher come summer 2012.

Do your own research though.

Unless you're in a position to know something others don't then theres really only luck involved.

Advice is to look at the area you're in. The RAF etc, if any parts or contracts come up try and investigate which suppier is behind it and buy their shares. Just play smart dont try and buy shares in areas you'r not familiar with or you will make peanuts, or worse still lose money. And remember alot of what you read in the public domain is mis-direction, other traders want you to pee your money away.

I also suggest sitting back for six months and tracking various companies. By the end of the six month you will have a better trend analysis and you can make a more informed investment.

That's kind of a good idea, just a shame that

a)a single share in rolls royce is 600 quid

b)Although BAe may get a contract to sell some typhoons or new hawks to somebody or other, they have just taken a pasting with the loss of all the nimrods and harriers (and rumours of tornadoes being slashed as well)

May keep an eye out on other companies associated with the forces such as cobham, air tanker ltd and northrop grumman, EADS etc