Investing in shares?

Craig855S

Unless you're in a position to know something others don't then theres really only luck involved.

Advice is to look at the area you're in. The RAF etc, if any parts or contracts come up try and investigate which suppier is behind it and buy their shares. Just play smart dont try and buy shares in areas you'r not familiar with or you will make peanuts, or worse still lose money. And remember alot of what you read in the public domain is mis-direction, other traders want you to pee your money away.

I also suggest sitting back for six months and tracking various companies. By the end of the six month you will have a better trend analysis and you can make a more informed investment.

That's kind of a good idea, just a shame that

a)a single share in rolls royce is 600 quid

b)Although BAe may get a contract to sell some typhoons or new hawks to somebody or other, they have just taken a pasting with the loss of all the nimrods and harriers (and rumours of tornadoes being slashed as well)

May keep an eye out on other companies associated with the forces such as cobham, air tanker ltd and northrop grumman, EADS etc

600 quid....surely you mean £6.00

Erm, yeah actually i do, I read GBp as pounds, but the small p makes it "great british pence" So yea, not as rediculous as previously mentioned.

If I won the lottery i'd definately invest a large chunk of it into someone like AT&T and live off the dividends

Looking at halifax share dealing and iii it seems like its not worth investing a small amount per month due to the cost of actual doing the deal (and the ISA self select that halifax offer charge £2.16 a month admin fee minimum and 1.50 a deal (for regular investment plan...whatever that is))

What I was looking to do was to take the money we normally shove into an ISA (and more often than not end up withdrawing, just because we can)

I'd like to take that money, and stick it into shares, diversifying, so maybe owning shares in 3 or 4 strong companies that pay good dividends, and maybe 1 company with risk. But it seems that unless im gonna buy hundreds of pounds worth (or even more than that) in one go, then it aint worth doing as the fees and monthly charge will pretty much cancel out any dividend or rise in stock price

Simplified.....using just 1 company

Say i invest 100 quid into company X on 1st march using the halifax ISA (stock price of 20 pence, dividend of .90 pence per share

Ill be charged 2.16 a month every month for the next 12 months

Ill receive the dividend of .90 pence per share (maybe more, or less, depends obviously) 4 times over the next 12 months

Ill also be paying 1.50 per deal each month to buy the 100 quids worth of shares

So over the 12 months that is 18 quid in deal charges and 25 odd quid in admin charges. All to own £1200 worth of shares in company X that will be paying out about £54 in dividend over the year.

Ill be 30 quid up, if everything stays the same, if it gets better then obviously i could get a bigger dividend or sell the shares i have to invest the money into another company and own more shares of said other company

Is it really like that?

the other way of doing it is the share dealing account but that charges 11.50 a transaction and no admin fee that i can see. But that's even worse as that'd be 130 quid over the year to buy 100 quids worth of shares each pay day, all just to get 54 quid back?

Maybe penny shares would be more fun?

I actually wouldnt mind playing penny shares, its not like I drink, people who drink or smoke waste well more than £100 a month on their habits, so me risking 100 a month on penny shares is justifyable in my head...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Who did you use to buy them?

b)Although BAe may get a contract to sell some typhoons or new hawks to somebody or other,

That'll be an order from Mr Gadaffi, apparently his are all going to be shot doon. :rolleyes:

iii's "portfolio builder" Each time I buy I'm charged £1.50 commision but there is no admin fee. So far I've got shares in Vodafone and Cable and wireless comms. Who both pay healthy dividends but both companies have lost a good % since I invested. Vodafone are very strong though who have just sold off their stake in another comms company giving them loads of cash burning a hole in their pocket. CWC are not doing so well though, but are still going to pay me a good dividend in august, and I think il buy more shares in them so the average cost per share of my holdings will come down, and when the share price recovers I'll be quids in

• 2 weeks later...

Trig, any info on why your shares have dropped quite a chunk recently? (I watch them but dont have any)

And one of the companies I started watching when i started this topic was solid state plc (SSP) and their shares have hovered around the 100GBX mark (+/-2) since then really, but in the last 4 or 5 days they've rocketed up to £1.28. Im gutted i never got into them through march-may

Ive got a few hundred shares in cable and wireless comms, and vodafone at the minute and Im spoilt for choice on where to go next

• 1 month later...

So, 2 days after I chuck 2 grand into Vodafone shares (and a week after both Vodafone adn Cable and wireless have paid me my dividend) the world seems to be going back into recession. It's barely been mentioned on BBC news but it's all over Google Finance. And the % drop in the markets is a bloody clear indicator that everyone is losing out big time

Europe shares extend sell-off as recession looms

European shares flirted with two-year lows on Friday, extending the previous session's sharp sell-off, as fears of a global recession and a short-funding crunch for regional banks intensified.

I don't mind losing money Mutley, because I know sooner or later it'll come back (and also any more shares i buy in Vod whilst the price is low wil reduce the "average price paid per share" so when the economy recovers (if it does go into recession again) then ill have thousands of shares worth a lot more than what i paid for them on average (and my dividends will also put me up overall..gonna be a nice dividend on 2nd feb)

Ive just googled premium bonds and nah. Thats the last thing i'd want to do with my savings