Killed my OS

RobMk6

Excuse if this is poorly written but i'm annoyed, frustrated and bloody tired, needed to run a program that only works with xp and i'm running vista, so decided to install xp or a partition on my hd. Now i cant get my normal os to boot, always always boots up on the xp, does not even give me a choice, going into the bios is no help either as it only shows my hd once. I can still access the partition/folder that vista is on but just cant boot it. i done this a few years back and never had a problem.

Can anybody help me rescue my system and guide me through how i install a dual boot without resorting to killing things. Been trying to figure it out for 4 hours:(

Its a laptop,

Fujitsu siemens, amilo pi52 somethin or 25 somethin

You will probably need to 1st format the xp partition so itll give you a clean slate for trying again, then try booting to vista

If it works then all good

Chances are you may have damaged the master boot record in vista if it doesn't boot

youll need to get a vista CD goto system recovery from the setup disc and look here about fixing the MBR http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

Ah wow, dual booting vista and xp. This takes me back

You can do the above, or you can do what Microsoft says you should do when you install XP over Vista...

Microsoft Clicky

Basically, you've overwritten the master boot record to point at XP, rather than the Vista installation. If you had done it the other way round, Vista would have noticed XP was there and created a menu for it.

You now need to reinstate the Vista bootloader.

Then you will be able to boot back in to Vista, once there you then need to tell it that XP has appeared, and to make a little menu so you can choose which OS to boot into when you start up.

Simples.

Caled, can you write in here what microsoft say to do, as i can only use my phone for internet now. As for the advanced properties and drop down list, Theres only xp listed. Its doin my head in now

Hit f8 and got into the boot choices menu and again only xp is listed

You can do the above, or you can do what Microsoft says you should do when you install XP over Vista...

Microsoft Clicky

Basically, you've overwritten the master boot record to point at XP, rather than the Vista installation. If you had done it the other way round, Vista would have noticed XP was there and created a menu for it.

Then you will be able to boot back in to Vista, once there you then need to tell it that XP has appeared, and to make a little menu so you can choose which OS to boot into when you start up.

Simples.

Managed to get online with XP,

Followed the link and cat get passed this point:

Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt: Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.

Keeps telling me cannot find the path specified

Microsoft Clicky

Simples.

Managed to get online with XP,

Followed the link and cat get passed this point:

Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt: Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.

Keeps telling me cannot find the path specified

You're not typing drive are you? Substitute that for C

example:

C:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

Pete..... honestly? seriously, I'm not that thick :pancake:

Seems as soon as I got online using XP I managed to figure a way to do it :) well find a way rather.....

This helped.... A LOT!!!!

That link did the bloody lot :)

Rob mate having spoke to you on many occassions in the last few years I considered the possibility you might have yes lol.

Engines yes your a godsend but computers, well, what can I say. :pancake:

If compatibility mode didn't work... VMware with XP install... As long as it's not a game your running you'd be fine. :thumb:

And before you say £400 for VMware... That little "u" icon in your task tray might help you there... ;)

Saves rebooting to gain access to different OS's, saves cocking up partitions and MBRs and means you can fanny around with different OS safely... like Linux, Win 7 etc :)