Best antivirus

McRic

I had avg years ago and felt it slowed my system right down when performing a scan. Has it improved over the years?

Best off with the free edition or a paid one?

Keep the suggestions coming please.

just about every AV will slow a system down when performing a full scan, nowadays tho processors are muchly improved speed and process handling wise so even a full scan on a new processor shouldn't see to much system stress.

Ive also been a longterm follower of AVG, it does exactly what it says on the tin and it does it as well as any of the expensive setups like Mcafee or Norton in my experience, which have a god awful habit of sticking their noses into every single corner of you system and doing whatever they want whenever they feel like it which as you can imagine becomes a pain in the shitshoot when you've paid out for them to make your life easier.

I was supplied with full mcafee setup free from Sky when I took a package with them and I still wont use it :pancake:

Imho, if you don't have the option of using MSE to its full extent (ergo your OS is a naughty copy) then Grisofts AVG is the way to go.