Best antivirus

McRic

www.avast.com - free, easy to use, uses little resources and i've not been hit once in the past 4 years with ANYTHING

Or it hasn't detected anything you do have :pancake:

I advised many to use Avast a while back & it is still a good option. When I trialed mse it resulted in a much sleeker, lower resourced hastle free option and then it discovered a virus that the other pc's running avast missed. I switched all my pc's to mse then all the ones at the office (50-60) and not had any hiccups so far in the time its been installed (at least 12-18 months).

AVG all the time, never had any problems/scares. Microsft stuff can p!ss off, its useless. Mcafee and norton have been proven on several occasions to miss potentially big bugs/trojans etc

Blimy! such a glancing comment. Can I ask you what your bad experience was with MSE to claim its uselessness?

Ihad no other anti virus/spyware software i was using at the time. It lead to a virus somehow getting into my computer and after varying amounts of time, (from 5 seconds to 5 minutes after startup) would proceed to shut down the computer. NO it wasn't overheating, bad earth, loose item or cable, i checked all that 1st.

My main problem at the time was that all my important docs and pics music etc was on there and without the use of another computer i was unable to get my files off. Now there was two problems with that as i would be connecting an infected hard drive to another computer and my user account was password protected (slightly more difficult to access) Bit the bullet and decided that i'd plug the HDD into my laptop to hopefully recover the files. Job Done files saved.

HDD back into PC in order to reinstall windows, should be simple, not quite. I smugly booted up for the 1st time after re installation, just for the cycle to begin again (OMFG) the pc nearly went through the monitor.

Basically i needed a new hard drive but the thing was the laptop didn't become infected, couldn't find the source of the virus and it didn't happen again. Both computers were used to visit the same sites but the laptop was running mcafee at the time.

Rather rare for a virus to destroy an entire hard drive beyond repair?

You sure the hard drive wasn't failing. I'm not trying to dig but in my experience wiping and reinstalling should not retain a virus (I'm not saying impossible but very rare these days).

When I say my experience, this is many years of repairing & cleaning viruses from numerous places on numerous computers. Im in charge of 50-60 computers all running MSE without falting since it was introduced. I also have 3 laptops & 5 PC's in the house running MSE, again no problems.

I'm in IT and get quite a few job on the site for friends, familys etc and have always recommended AVG however just before xmas there was an update and out of approx 20machines that I have recommended or installed this on 5 had problems which turned out to be caused by the AVG toolbar. Therefore I wouldn't recomment AVG again and would suggest looking at Avast (which is what the problem PC's got) or indeed one of the other suggestions.

You sure the hard drive wasn't failing. I'm not trying to dig but in my experience wiping and reinstalling should not retain a virus (I'm not saying impossible but very rare these days).

Yes because the was no other indication of failure before it went t!ts up and worked fine when plugged into the laptop.

I'm in IT and get quite a few job on the site for friends, familys etc and have always recommended AVG however just before xmas there was an update and out of approx 20machines that I have recommended or installed this on 5 had problems which turned out to be caused by the AVG toolbar. Therefore I wouldn't recomment AVG again and would suggest looking at Avast (which is what the problem PC's got) or indeed one of the other suggestions.

I will defend AVG as a whole except the toolbar as i also encountered serious slow down when searching for things and generally using the internet, got swiftly removed from my computer.

A couple of PCs I've had to sort recent;y have had a reasonably convincing virus version of AVG. Quite confusing for the average user who runs AVG.

I still think it's a good alround solution, but will be trying out MSE on a couple of PCs shortly following good reviews. After all, MS know the product they're protecting better than anyone!