'The action cannot be completed...'

eetaylog

Plenty of people seem to have this problem in vista/7, but i cant find a satisfactory answer... ive got a file saved to my desktop that was a 4 part zip file that extracted and knitted into 1 mkv video file, but for some reason i cant edit/delete/rename it because any time i attempt it explorer tells me ''The action cannot be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer'.

I know for a fact that its not open in any other program/explorer because ive tried a fresh reboot, deleted all my temp files and killed/restarted explorer in task manager and im now out of ideas. HELP!

http://www.evo-host.co.uk/getimg/26641.jpg

VLC player? Is there anything that can play that media player with a couple of codec packs can't?

What'd you use to join the files?

Ive read that 4 times now and i still dont understand, haha! :huh:

The files automatically join when you extract the first part. So you have:

abc-part1.zip

abc-part2.zip

abc-part3.zip

...when you double click (or right click>extract) part1.zip, it extracts all four of them and joins them automatically. Ive followed the same procedure with loads of other similar files without a problem btw so dont think its winzips fault.

VLC player? Is there anything that can play that media player with a couple of codec packs can't?

What'd you use to join the files?

Ive read that 4 times now and i still dont understand, haha! :huh:

The files automatically join when you extract the first part. So you have:

abc-part1.zip

abc-part2.zip

abc-part3.zip

...when you double click (or right click>extract) part1.zip, it extracts all four of them and joins them automatically. Ive followed the same procedure with loads of other similar files without a problem btw so dont think its winzips fault.

So you use winzip to join them then.

What I said was... is there any reason to have VLC player since, as far as i'm aware, I does nothing that media player can't.

Have you checked event viewer?

Errors or warnings. I'd be looking at what uncompressed the file.

I download just about everything there is, and with the k-lite codec pack, media player is a hero.

There are errors and warnings, but none to do with winzip. BTW I managed to extract and join the file on a memory stick and can rename and delete the it on another pc, which suggests its definately a win7 explorer problem. very strange.

Im now left with the original extracted file stuck on my desktop though. pita.

Errors or warnings. I'd be looking at what uncompressed the file.

I download just about everything there is, and with the k-lite codec pack, media player is a hero.

There are errors and warnings, but none to do with winzip. BTW I managed to extract and join the file on a memory stick and can rename and delete the it on another pc, which suggests its definately a win7 explorer problem. very strange.

Im now left with the original extracted file stuck on my desktop though. pita.

I had this problem in XP though too?

Kill explorer.exe in the process list and try again? Just for banters sake.

How will he then find the file if explorer is closed?

Did you open it at an elevated level?

i had something like this the other day and it was because it was a dodgy download :/

had to re download it.

if i were you i would kill VLC player ( if i remember it boots at start up?)

if thats the case

press Windows key+R

then in the window type MSCONFIG and then stop any bootup programs ( VLC if it is there ) reboot and then try editing it at an elevated level :)

if that dont work. then dunno lol

Did you do it all using the same log-in?

Can you remove it in safe mode?

Yes, all using oone login. I havent tried removing in safe mode, i will try tonight.

Kill explorer.exe in the process list and try again? Just for banters sake.

As i said, ive already tried killing/restarting explorer. Made no difference.

I had this problem in XP though too?

Yeah looks like a lot of people were having this problem in xp as well, but mainly it seems to be a vista+ issue.

It's the media preview stuff which is keeping a file lock open.

Get process explorer from sysinternals.com and see what process has file handles on the particular file.

Do you mean thumbnails? I turned off the thumbnail viewer in explorer hoping it might be this, but it made no difference. Ill give the above a try as well though, cheers.

Did you open it at an elevated level?

if i were you i would kill VLC player ( if i remember it boots at start up?)

if thats the case

press Windows key+R

then in the window type MSCONFIG and then stop any bootup programs ( VLC if it is there ) reboot and then try editing it at an elevated level :)

Yeah disabling vlc was going to be my next plan, ill give it a try.

If you run K-Lite codecs... disable Explorer Thumbnail view for MKV files.

It's the media preview stuff which is keeping a file lock open.

Get process explorer from sysinternals.com and see what process has file handles on the particular file.

Do you mean thumbnails? I turned off the thumbnail viewer in explorer hoping it might be this, but it made no difference. Ill give the above a try as well though, cheers.

Made No difference.

Edited by eetaylog