PC Problems

wwwd

Right, got a mates PC and it's f*cked. And like a mug I said I'd try and fix it.

When I switch it on, it comes up with the Compaq screen, then comes up with the 'start Windows in safe mode' options. When I select last know configuration then it says some DLL file is missing. And when I select start Windows normally it freezes and I have to unplug the f*cker.

So basically I can even access the login screen. The OS is Windows XP.

Can I fix this by formatting the system and reinstalling XP or are some of the components just f*cked?

Edited by wwwd

Run a repair from the windows XP disc you shouldn't loose any data at all, sounds like one of the DLLs required for bootup has been damaged or deleted

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-h...air-windows-xp/

Edited by scottg17

Run a repair from the windows XP disc you shouldn't loose any data at all, sounds like one of the DLLs required for bootup has been damaged or deleted

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-h...air-windows-xp/

I hate XP repair, for some reason the fecker always go's barmy on me and I end up just formatting and re-intalling my Xp :pancake:

How about simply reseting his bios? Ive always found start up issues a right pain in the shitpiece (the latest one destroying the missus pc) but everytime its failed startup its usually after either a chunky update or component change and a quick bios reset (pull the button battery for 1/2hr) it usually behaved itself so it could be started in safe mode with checks.

I've never had any issues with xp repair

oh don't get me wrong, Ive heard it praised by multiple people, infact Im not sure Ive ever heard a negative word concerning it.

It just doesnt like me is all, it must be a intensely personal matter on its part :pancake:

In an XP repair fails...

Whip out the HDD, slam it on an external adaptor or put inside your PC... Backup all his data, check the condition of the HDD using SMART reading software (HDDLife or Speccy or something) and re-install XP on the bugger.

You'll need an OEM XP Pro/Home disc as retail discs will not accept the key on the COA label.

That said, if it's HP and he's it from new... Some HP PCs were supplied with restoration discs, some of which are non-destructive so you could restore the OS without destroying the data if an XP Repair fails.

I've got a HP here with 2 partitions on the HDD which you boot from a USB Pen into a Windows based console which restores the OS from the second partition to the first without destroying user data... It's brilliant!

How can I run an XP repair with the original XP disk? It either didn't come with the system or my mate lost it.

Edit: without*

"borrow" someone elses...

XP Repair or Reinstall, it will not matter where the disc came from as long as it's an OEM disc as you'll use the COA label for the key.... As far as Microsoft care, that's a genuine copy.

If you were close to Yorkshire, I'd help you out with one (I have actual, genuine XP retail and OEM discs)

How can I run an XP repair with the original XP disk? It either didn't come with the system or my mate lost it.

Edit: without*

"borrow" someone elses...

XP Repair or Reinstall, it will not matter where the disc came from as long as it's an OEM disc as you'll use the COA label for the key.... As far as Microsoft care, that's a genuine copy.

If you were close to Yorkshire, I'd help you out with one (I have actual, genuine XP retail and OEM discs)

shouldn't matter if it was an OEM CD or not, i've done it hundreds of times as its part of my job it would only really apply if you were to format it then it will be trying to authenticate the authentication with the slic in the bios ;)

shouldn't matter if it was an OEM CD or not, i've done it hundreds of times as its part of my job it would only really apply if you were to format it then it will be trying to authenticate the authentication with the slic in the bios ;)

I mean key wise... If he was to re-install.

OEM (Microsoft ones, not HP/Dell/ETC modified ones) discs do not accept Retail keys

Retail discs do not accept OEM keys (ie: Dell COA, HP COA)

I have many OEM XP discs here and a few retail discs... I've tried it all.

For repair it won't matter as long as it's Home for Home and Pro for Pro... and a bootable true XP disc and not an OEM Restore only disc.

Edited by smithyandco

I mean key wise... If he was to re-install.

OEM (Microsoft ones, not HP/Dell/ETC modified ones) discs do not accept Retail keys

Retail discs do not accept OEM keys (ie: Dell COA, HP COA)

I have many OEM XP discs here and a few retail discs... I've tried it all.

For repair it won't matter as long as it's Home for Home and Pro for Pro... and a bootable true XP disc and not an OEM Restore only disc.

Pretty much what I meant ;)

Right, so if I get hold of a disk, how do I go about running XP repair? How do I access this feature?

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

The basics are:

• Ensure the PC is setup to boot from CD/DVD (Check in BIOS or use the Press F2 or whatever ket to access boot options prompt which may appear on some PCs near the Press DEL to access BIOS prompt)
  • Put disc in CD/DVD drive and turn PC on, wait for "Press any key to boot from CD...." prompt and press any key on keyboard
  • Wait for XP setup to finish loading post-install files
  • At setup menu, ignore repair console and PRESS ENTER
  • Windows will now check to see if Windows XP is already installed (which it is)
  • At the "Do you want to repair the current XP installation prompt select YES
  • Follow all prompts until it reboots
  • Leave CD in CD/DVD drive and ignore the "Press any key to boot.... blah" and allow Windows to perform any further steps
  • After this is finished and the PC has rebooted, eject disc, hope and pray it boots!
  • If it boots and works normally, woohoo! Crack open a beer!