towing licence advice needed

escrt1.4i

i looking to do my towing licence as i passed in jan 2008 it states

Car licences obtained on or after 1 January 1997

If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.

now i been online looking for prices and places but yet to find any were that does it can any one help me out on this at all

or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.

What I take from that is that YOU, and myself aswell, can tow a caravan/trailer so long as it weighs less than the car, and that both the car and caravan/trailer together weigh less than 3.5 tonnes. so towing a smallish caravan with a hatchback will be fine, towing a big caravan with a range rover however, will exceed 3.5 tonnes

or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.

What I take from that is that YOU, and myself aswell, can tow a caravan/trailer so long as it weighs less than the car, and that both the car and caravan/trailer together weigh less than 3.5 tonnes. so towing a smallish caravan with a hatchback will be fine, towing a big caravan with a range rover however, will exceed 3.5 tonnes

yea well i got a lwb shogun and mate has a smallish caravan and thought few of us go away for a weekend some were it comes in handy

At a guess (weight) the shogun will be about 2.2-2.5 tonnes and the caravan should be less than a tonne so you'd be ok. However you'll have to watch what you put in the car and caravan i.e. driver =at least 60kg, passenger = another 60, 3rd or 4th person + their weight then any additional kit you take, basically everything on the road that is being moved needs to be less than 3.5 tonne however its probably unlikely that you will be pulled over and have the kit weighed, unless your doing something to draw attention to your self.

Make sure you have any safety kit required, i.e. extensions for the wing mirros and that there is a break away cable fitted to the trailer, small thin wire that should hold the caravan/trailer to the vehicle should it jump out of the ball joint for whatever reason.

just been on a few sites and no-one seems to give prices online, its all ring for details. Could you just put in for your test if your confindent enough in a pass???

Test involves:

■The ability to carry out safety checks on your vehicle and trailer

■The reversing exercise

■The braking exercise

■The drive

■Uncoupling and recoupling

Just book a test through your local centre and save the lesson fees!

Hopefully i can help clear this up for you. You can tow a caravan, as long as the caravan doesnt exceed 750kg, if it weighs more then that then ull have to take a test to enable you towing it.

You are licensed to drive anything up to 3.5 tonne,

So for example if you bought a car online and you wanted to tow it back using a trailer, you wouldnt be able to as the trailer plus the weight of the vehicle would put you massively over weight.

You have to be careful as traffic police can do you and alot of people have been caught out thinking they can do it.

But like i said, if you want to go away with the lads in the caravan you must be sure of the laden weight of the caravan before towing it, if its over 750kg then no you are not license to tow it

Hopefully i can help clear this up for you. You can tow a caravan, as long as the caravan doesnt exceed 750kg, if it weighs more then that then ull have to take a test to enable you towing it.

So for example if you bought a car online and you wanted to tow it back using a trailer, you wouldnt be able to as the trailer plus the weight of the vehicle would put you massively over weight.

You have to be careful as traffic police can do you and alot of people have been caught out thinking they can do it.

But like i said, if you want to go away with the lads in the caravan you must be sure of the laden weight of the caravan before towing it, if its over 750kg then no you are not license to tow it

i wont chance it more hassle than what it worth chancing it , im just going to ring round and find out a price

This is commonly believed but not exactly true

Have you passed your test since 1 January 1997?

The standard driving licence issued to a driver passing his or her test today covers categories B and B1. This means you can drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg (B) and tow a trailer up to 750kg behind it.

If you have a lighter car, you can then tow a heavier caravan, but the combined weight of the whole outfit cannot be more than 3,500kg. And don’t forget, it’s the official Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the caravan that’s considered here – regardless how much luggage you put inside. To complicate matters further, the MAM of your caravan in this instance must also be lighter than the unladen weight of your car.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb87/Danzetec/TowingBentitlement.jpg

Source