Wide arch 5 door project

lee grout

Tis like £50 for a cossie one of egay that fits with some mods :) also this time cut the floor so no need to drop tank ;)

Seems a bit extreme but if I ever need my tank dropping again I'm getting a sender shaped hole cut! Does seems nuts to have to remove the whole tank to get at the sender/pump.

I'd bet you anything its your fusebox mate, not relays or fuses but the box itself unless I've missed you replacing it in the thread somewhere.

Under where the rear seats would be Lee you can remove the grommet and pull the plug, turn key to position 2 and test for live, easiest way mate, if it's live then pumps fecked init, I'll hook you up.

I'd bet you anything its your fusebox mate, not relays or fuses but the box itself unless I've missed you replacing it in the thread somewhere.

No its not something I've replaced at all.

Under where the rear seats would be Lee you can remove the grommet and pull the plug, turn key to position 2 and test for live, easiest way mate, if it's live then pumps fecked init, I'll hook you up.

Not the cable mate. I put one of them current testing gizmo's on it (god knows what the normal setting is!!!!!) :unsure: Anyway there is current going to the plug so I think its safe to assume it is the pump.

I couldnt just pull the plug out though, it wasnt lined up with the hole into the car, I've had to get down on my back in a dark garage with my phone light to drop the tank down! Bloody petrol everywhere! I did try syphoning 1st but lets just say it didnt go to plan :blush: Anyway its lowered now. To fully get it out to remove the pump, do I just take off the two hoses connecting to the pump then pull the tank clear?

Sorry no pics but will get some up soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty much.

Have you tried putting power from a battery/ battery charger straight onto the pump?

No, but i will when I get another to check it.

Pic of new un-dented bonnet...at last.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/P1030120.jpg

Help needed with following pics!

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/P1030123.jpg

These clips are supposed to squeeze together and allow me to pull them off the pipe. However thats not happening!

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/P1030124.jpg

I managed to pull it off the above ^ (is it the fuel filter)????? But It wont budge the other end. I also think I may have broken them as I also tried squeezing them with pliers but now the ends just spin and I cant pull them off!

Does anyone know where I can get other clips like this or is it ok to cut them off and just jubilee clip them to the pipes?

Oh and a quick pic of the lack of space I'm working in.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/P1030121.jpg

Just enough room to get the car up but still able to close the garage lol.

Are those clips supposed to be pulled through like that? Looks like you've pulled something that's meant to be in the pump still. I thought the clips were part of the pump housing to join the fuel lines.

http://www.dontcallmeshirley.eclipse.co.uk/phils/phils_pics/mynewcar/MOT2012/IMG_0920.JPG

I could be wrong I can't remember.

These clips are supposed to squeeze together and allow me to pull them off the pipe. However thats not happening!

Does anyone know where I can get other clips like this or is it ok to cut them off and just jubilee clip them to the pipes?

they are rebuildable if you get another one you need to gently squeeze the two lumps push iton further then pull off if it still wont come off prise of red/white cap and get small screwdriver and insert carefullyinto the connector , you are trying to lift the center piece while pulling off the connector iff all else fails and you have wrecked the connector you can fit new ones (tricky bu can be done )if you are stuck i may have some :thumb:

I've had problems with them in the past, I'm sure it comes from Ford as the whole fuel line, which isn't cheap.

I've replaced whole lines in the past, but with braided fuel pipe which you can buy by the meter, although you could prberbly cut the end off the Ford pipes and use a small ammount of rubber pipe to join them to the tank, and some decent jubalee clips. I'm not sure how well the pipe would seat to the Ford plastic pipes though?

I've had problems with them in the past, I'm sure it comes from Ford as the whole fuel line, which isn't cheap.

I've replaced whole lines in the past, but with braided fuel pipe which you can buy by the meter, although you could prberbly cut the end off the Ford pipes and use a small ammount of rubber pipe to join them to the tank, and some decent jubalee clips. I'm not sure how well the pipe would seat to the Ford plastic pipes though?

ive changed them before by carefully cutting off the replacement clip cut off the damadged clip them clamping the plastic pipe in a vice then the hard bit .you have to push the new clip into the plastic pipe (do not use any heat or warm pipe up as it wont work )its really tight but it can be done you do squash the plastic pipe a bit but it does reshape .you also need to only have a little piece of the pipe sticking out of the vice or else you just kink the pipe when pushing .some of the connectors are metal ,these are easier but i have found that they only fit certain clips and sometimes leak(different o rings ) .its possible to rebuild them as well you can prise off outer piece then pull out the inner piece and inside is a o ring that can be replaced again ther are two types dependeng if sealing on a steel shaft or a plastic one .a jubilee clipped pipe may be ok on the return side but may be a bit risky on the pressure side :thumb:

Yeah I'm stuck now. One pipe is on about 2/3 of the way. The red one though...thats another story. As I cut the old clip off (close enough to the clip to keep maximum lengh) its now not long enough. To get it where it needs to be i.e close enough to put the pipe on, the tank needs to be almost in situe which means theres NO room to get hands in there! I was gonna try and remove the clip from the top of the pump, attach it to the red clip then whenit s on, raise the tank and just slip the red clip back in.......I cant get the red clip out though DOH! Squeeze the clips, push and pull but doesnt want to come out. Plus I dont want to break it! Go see if i can find some pipe and extend the line so its easier to fit by having more room to play with.