Wide arch 5 door project

lee grout

ive got that mongoose exhaust, not fitted it yet, but all the hangers seem to either be in the wrong place in the case of the one behind the rear silencer, or missing one, in the case of the ones on the middle silencer

the one behind the rear silencer faces towards the silencer, but the one n the standard exhaust comes out to the side

the middle silencer only has 1 hanger on it, but the standard one has 2.... so confused

ive got that mongoose exhaust, not fitted it yet, but all the hangers seem to either be in the wrong place in the case of the one behind the rear silencer, or missing one, in the case of the ones on the middle silencer

the one behind the rear silencer faces towards the silencer, but the one n the standard exhaust comes out to the side

the middle silencer only has 1 hanger on it, but the standard one has 2.... so confused

I've not properly looked at it yet. I myself did take it off the other car though, was pretty straight forward. Ill soon see if my hangers are in different positions :mellow:

Lee's got a Magnex zorst mate, I gots the mongoose, the Magnex is a far better fit than the mongoose, ive had hangers welded in specially for the mongoose, you can get it in with stock hangers but it's a pig, you have to seriously stretch and twist the rear bushes to get it to hang, this meant there was extra pressure on the one and only middle hanger which would tear monthly. Hasn't dropped once since I had my chap weld in matched hanging points.

Edited by Naylor2006

• 2 months later...

Cheers mate. Havnt done anything is AAAAAAAAAAAGES! lol. Stil have 1 and a half wheels to refurb ( half being just needs paint) but have no free time to do it. I started them.......god knows how long ago!

I did get some finishing touches, Been sat here for ages but will put a pic up soon as this threads been neglected for quite a while.

1: set of 4 mud flaps with ford logo.

2: wind deflectors all round.

Am also close to fitting the exhaust but having a problem with one of the bolts that connects the system to the cat (old bolts from previous system). They have been groud off head of the bolt and the actual bolt itself. However the remainder of the bolts is stuck in there. Funny thing is, one bolt is facing one way, the bolt on the other side has been bolted in the opposite direction. I assume this is done for a reason. Thing is, both the sides that had the bolt head is the bit thats stuck in there. I now have a partial stuck in bolt on the old system (left hand side) and a partial stuck in bolt on the cat (right hand side)??????????

I dont know if it was threaded or stuck in with good ol rust. :vangry: Well it didnt respond to a hammer put it that way :innocent: Ive started drilling it out but I havnt got decent/correct drills for it. Guess I need to go on the blag lol.

• 1 month later...
Funny thing is, one bolt is facing one way, the bolt on the other side has been bolted in the opposite direction. I assume this is done for a reason.

I assume whoever fitted it turned round when putting the bolts through and fitted using the same hand!!

my exhaust is like that lol...for that exact reason

Funny thing is, one bolt is facing one way, the bolt on the other side has been bolted in the opposite direction. I assume this is done for a reason.

I assume whoever fitted it turned round when putting the bolts through and fitted using the same hand!!

my exhaust is like that lol...for that exact reason

makes sense to me, why struggle contorting your arms or tightening with your weak hand when you can just turn round??? no reason why the bolts have to be facing the same direction, as long as it's on.

Where are these photos of how the wide arch is coming along?

• 4 weeks later...

Well after.....forever without an update here's a small one.

I finally drilled out the bolt that was causing me grief. While the cat section was off the car I decided to replace the wire gasket thing to the manifold for a new one. Quite a tight fit but after a few minutes of bad language got it fitted and the cat section was bolted back in place. I decided to fit the exhaust best I could to check for any other possible problems.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/P1030534_zps2b8c0595.jpg

You can see my nice shiney newbolts holding the mid section to the cat. You may also make out that I've gotta weld a bracket to the pipe just before the box. The one that was there snapped off but was in the wrong place for my car anyway. I made a cardboard template that a new bar will follow then can weld it to the bottom of the pipe and hopefully fit into the 2 rubber hangers.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/P1030533_zps164682df.jpg

Here, notice the way the hanger's facing and where the original fixing point is. Ive removed the bracket and will hopefully bend the ends so when its bolted back on, the hanger can fit sideways on :))

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/DSC03452_zps55fd1fe4.jpg

My 25mm wheels spacers. Now the car should sit right when the wheels are re fitted.

Talking of wheels, its taken ages to progress with the other 2. Well now they're all at my work waiting for monday night. Couple more coats of black followed by laquer and there finally all good to go.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/DSC03451_zpsed67ec87.jpg

Last pic today. Some bits Ive collected along the way.

# Wind deflectors

# Mud guards ( is a set of 4, just 2 for picture purposes)

# Matt laquer and some etch primer.

Will look this week to get my bar welded to the exhaust mid section for fitting on sat. Also wheels done on monday to also fit on the weekend. I will clean out the arches before its all fitted and can then bring the car back down to earth from those axle stands :drunk:

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/the-jonsonator/P1030533_zps164682df.jpg

Here, notice the way the hanger's facing and where the original fixing point is. Ive removed the bracket and will hopefully bend the ends so when its bolted back on, the hanger can fit sideways on :))

Or get a long bolt with correct thread size stick I big washer on it and push it thru the rubber and screw into the hole there, saves faffing