Windows 7 'consider replacing your battery'

eetaylog

Im all of a sudden getting a message popping up in my system tray telling me that i should consider replacing the battery in my laptop (Dell inspiron). Im pretty sure that the battery is still fine and after doing some digging around it looks like this is a known issue with Win7, but there doesnt seem to be a fix as far as i can see.

Can anyone shed a bit more light on the problem as ive never heard of this issue before.

TIA.

http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Windows-7-s-Consider-Replacing-Your-Battery-Warnings-Are-Valid-2.png

Moral of the story: When your battery is fully charged, unplug the charger.

Not quite, as my battery isnt foobared and i always make sure i unplug the charger when not needed, and run the battery flat before recharing. I noticed that windows have actually added an option with their latest update with an option to turn this message off now, so ive just done that.

Moral of the story: When your battery is fully charged, unplug the charger.

Not quite, as my battery isnt foobared and i always make sure i unplug the charger when not needed, and run the battery flat before recharing. I noticed that windows have actually added an option with their latest update with an option to turn this message off now, so ive just done that.

Then yes quite. you treat your battery properly, hence why the battery is actually fine, wheras the other guys who have fubard batterys (and the fubarred battery warning) may have not been doing it correctly

Geez how old are your laptops? You dont need to worry about "overcharging" the newer batteries as this doesn't happen anymore (apparently) the laptop should stop charging the battery once fully charged and then keep topping it up every now and then if still plugged in.

Just ignore it, it should still give you an approximate time left though.

Geez how old are your laptops? You dont need to worry about "overcharging" the newer batteries as this doesn't happen anymore (apparently) the laptop should stop charging the battery once fully charged and then keep topping it up every now and then if still plugged in.

This is the problem though, if theyre constantly topped up without properly being drained then lithium ion batteries (which mot laptops have) are prone to memory effect, which causes voltage depression and therefore it wont charge above a certain voltage any more.

Anyway, as ive already said, im going to ignore it because im pretty sure my battery is fine and apparently its a well known Win7 error where it incorrectly detects a fault with the battery.

That's what I thought if I'm honest?

This is the problem though, if theyre constantly topped up without properly being drained then lithium ion batteries (which mot laptops have) are prone to memory effect.

No they don't, the old batteries did, hence the comment "how old...." It was the nickel cadmium batteries that suffered the "memory effect"