Internet Connection Problems!

wwwd

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

My mate has given me his netbook thingy, it connects the router fine but the Internet access does not work. Firefox, IE, Safari, etc. can't access the internet and whenever I try to update software online (AVG, Malwarebytes, etc.) it won't work, even though it has an "excellent" connection to the Internet.

Other laptops/devices work fine with my router by the way.

Any help would be appreciated!

I assume the netbook is XP?

First off, I assume that the router is connected to the internet? (a fair assumption given you've posted this...)

Second, I'd double check that the netbook TCP/IP settings are set to DHCP.

Thirdly, I'd open up the command line and see if I could ping anywhere - Start -> Run -> cmd -> ping www.google.co.uk

Dont assume that a strong wireless connection is a connection to the internet, all the signal will indicate is that you are connected to the network, this does not automatically guarentee internet access.

Have you tried the repair connection option?

Tcp/ip settings set to auto?

obtain an ip address automatically

obtain dns server address automatically

I'd pretty much echo the above as far as settings... For Windows XP (some lower spec Netbooks still come with XP) this is simple.

Start - > Control Panel - > Network Connections - > Locate the wireless device (there could be more than one.. for wired/virtual/firewire etc) and RIGHT click - > Properties - > In Networking tab click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP v4) and click the Properties button. Select obtain IP and DNS settings automatically (if you have an alternative tab select automatic in this also) then OK and CLOSE then wait for around 5-60 seconds (depending on the router/connection) for it to connect.

Then simply test your connection again in a browser.

For Vista/7 it's similar to the above only you need to click Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel then click Change Adaptor Settings on the left hand side to get to the network devices.

Going a bit further in depth

Open command prompt.

type ipconfig /all

find where it mentions wireless connection.

note the ip address and default gateway

If you get an ip address starting 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then DHCP has not allocated you an ip, if this is the case you wont get a default gateway showing

if you get an IP address starting with something like 192.xx / 172.xx / 10.xx ect along with a default gateway then you can get an IP address (giving you at the least local access to the network)

From here you can try ping tests,

1st try - in command prompt the below commands

ping www.bbc.co.uk - if you get replies (from a 212 address with BBC) then it should work, if not look into issues with your browser/firewall impact

If you get no replies to the ping (either 'ping request could not find host' or 'request timed out' ECT then try the below

ping 212.58.244.70, If this gives you replies then DNS is the issue, You can add DNS entries to the internet protocol section of your network card described earlier. A good one to use is just googles DNS server 8.8.8.8

If the above fails then try to ping the default gateway discovered earlier, if this fails the chances are the router is screwed

i'd look at these:

a) if you logon the router, does it say its got an internet connection?

b) does another machine connect over the same wifi internet?

c) have you checked it for malware?

:cheers:

The last thing malware would want to do is disconnect you

i'd look at these:

really? it wants your internet connection for itself so can make it so it can use it and you cant... :rolleyes:

i'd look at these:

really? it wants your internet connection for itself so can make it so it can use it and you cant... :rolleyes:

Depends on the Malware but most unlikely it will disable your access to the internet as theres far more uses it can implicate while your connected such as gathering your details and distributing advertising your way.

I would say 99% that looking in that area will be sending the user on a wild goose chase in terms of probable cause.