Blank screen when resuming from standby

eetaylog

I have a weird problem where resuming from a standby state (s3) on my win7 system causes the PC to not wake properly. Its almost as if the TV isnt getting a video signal from the gfx card because i get the standard 'check signal cable' osd that i usually get when the PC is completely off. I can hear the fans spinning up, but the cpu seems like its not powering up (probably why the gfx card seems unresponsive).

Standby is pretty important on my system because i want it to wake itself up from sleep state to record TV and then shut itself back down again when we're away on weekends etc. Ive done plenty of googling around on the subject and the problem seems pretty widespread, but most of the threads that i read are from a few years ago, surely theres been a hotfix for it by now?

Anyone else ever had this problem?

So far ive tried:

- every possible combination of power setting (ive tried hybrid standby both on and off as well)

- playing around with BIOS power settings, including changing power state from S3 to S1 (though this just makes the computer not fully go to sleep in the first place)

- updating every driver for every peripheral that ive got

One thing i havent tried is updating my BIOS (im currently running a pretty old f4 version, current version is f10 beta), but i will be doing that tonight.

TIA

btw, my system is:

AMD X2 processor

Gigabyte GA-MA69VM mobo

4 x1Gb Corsair DDR2 memory

ATI Radeon 4670HD gfx card

LG bluray/dvd odd

1 x 500Gb Seagate os HDD

2 x 2Tb WD HDD

USB IR receiver w/ MCE remote control

Buffalo 802.11g wireless LAN card

Edited by eetaylog

btw, my system is:

AMD X2 processor

Gigabyte GA-MA69VM mobo

4 x1Gb Corsair DDR2 memory

ATI Radeon 4670HD gfx card

LG bluray/dvd odd

1 x 500Gb Seagate os HDD

2 x 2Tb WD HDD

USB IR receiver w/ MCE remote control

Buffalo 802.11g wireless LAN card

Unplug any USB devices and see if it wakes up properly then.

I was thinking this. i tried changing the power settings in device manager last night so that win7 doesnt power USB devices down when going into hibernation but i i couldnt find the power management settings for USB devices anywhere.

I was thinking this. i tried changing the power settings in device manager last night so that win7 doesnt power USB devices down when going into hibernation but i i couldnt find the power management settings for USB devices anywhere.

Don't bother changing the settings, just unplug it and see if it's any better.

We've experienced this loads of times. The machine wakes up and is completely functional except that the screen remains dark. It's a fault in Win 7. No hotfix. Only workaround is to change your power settings so that it doesn't sleep, but as I said the machine is completely functional so it will still record for you.

We've experienced this loads of times. The machine wakes up and is completely functional except that the screen remains dark. It's a fault in Win 7. No hotfix. Only workaround is to change your power settings so that it doesn't sleep, but as I said the machine is completely functional so it will still record for you.

Sounds like a different issue to me. My system wont respond at all, its almost as if the cpu isnt receiving power (which i may not be). Fans spin up, but no activity on HDD or cpu.

Yours sounds like an explorer.exe issue to me.

Sounds like a different issue to me. My system wont respond at all, its almost as if the cpu isnt receiving power (which i may not be). Fans spin up, but no activity on HDD or cpu.

Ah that does sound different to what we've experienced before. Try a bios update. I've come across one mb - gigabyte iirc - that wouldn't shut down - screen went dark but fans kept on running. A bios update fixed it.

Ah that does sound different to what we've experienced before. Try a bios update. I've come across one mb - gigabyte iirc - that wouldn't shut down - screen went dark but fans kept on running. A bios update fixed it.

Yeah thats the plan for tonight as im running a very old BIOS. might as well update the chipset drivers while im at it as well.