ram

etrebus

can any one tell me the difference between ddr2 pc2-5300 cl=5 and ddr2 pc2-6400 cl=6 as i have been recomended to upgrade my ram memory went on to crucial web site and they recommend these two they are both the same price but i would like to know what the difference is so i buy the right one cheers :thumb:

can any one tell me the difference between ddr2 pc2-5300 cl=5 and ddr2 pc2-6400 cl=6 as i have been recomended to upgrade my ram memory went on to crucial web site and they recommend these two they are both the same price but i would like to know what the difference is so i buy the right one cheers :thumb:

speed. the 6400 is faster

Wikipedia has the answers;

clicky

thanks but still no wiser i dont do computers lol im a welder fabricator :thumb:

does that mean its better ?

Wikipedia has the answers;

clicky

thanks but still no wiser i dont do computers lol im a welder fabricator :thumb:

does that mean its better ?

yes.that's what computers are about speed

yes.that's what computers are about speed

sorry for being thick but still learning, ask me about welding and i can answer but computers :unsure:

To be fair, it probably wont be especially noticeable. Why do you want to upgrade?

have only 1gig ram and told windows 7 will use most of this also box keeps popping up saying high memory usage :thumb:

1GB? That is pretty low for 7.

I guess you've used to the Crucial system scanner, and its come up with those two. Crucial are a pretty good make, and either of them will do, so you may aswell go for the faster set as the price isnt too different. Just make sure you buy branded RAM - Kingston or Crucial or Corsair are usually fine.

The difference there is speed, the 6400 being faster, however, if your motherboard and processor arent a match for the higher speed ram then its pointless buying it.

now you are opening a can of worms my processor is amd athalon64x2 dual core 4400 2.3 gb :thumb:

Edited by etrebus

The difference there is speed, the 6400 being faster, however, if your motherboard and processor arent a match for the higher speed ram then its pointless buying it.

You think?

:unsure:

I guess you've used to the Crucial system scanner, and its come up with those two. Crucial are a pretty good make, and either of them will do, so you may aswell go for the faster set as the price isnt too different. Just make sure you buy branded RAM - Kingston or Crucial or Corsair are usually fine.

More rams always better but 7 will run fine with it (better than it did on Vista and more like on XP.

thanks for advice they are both the same price :thumb:

No worries - for peace of mind, the 6400 is backwards compatible, meaning it will run at the same speed as the 5300 if your motherboard cant run at the 6400s native speed.

And Ive got 7 open at the minute with firefox (admittedly with 4 tabs), thunderbird and itunes and its using 1.10GB of memory. Id suggest 2GB is a bare minimum for modern PCs.