windows 7 issue

shawdreamer

Im seriously growing to hate this overly complicated piece of glitch filled cack.

from the start.

I only use specific programs on this laptop (which Im on now) so constantly being asked "This so and so program wishes to make changes to your blah blah feckin blah" everytime I tried to open a certain program really began to grate on my nerves.

the next time it popped up I hit the "adjust when these warning show up" thingy button and seen as the setting was already set one from the bottom I dropped it all the way down to "do not ask" level.

I assumed that was the end of it and it informed me I needed to restart to bring the options into effect.

I diligently did as I was told and restarted.

first thing of note was the humongous amount of time it took to finish up loading the desktop.

I dismissed it as it just "adjusting"

out of vague curiosity I opened task manager to make sure it was finished feckin about.

a huge amount of "svchost.exe's" was immediately visible were originally there had only been one or two in a usually very streamlined Process list (I rubbish you not there is near 30 of them), ontop of that closer inspection revealed the presence of multiple "exe's" that originally wernt present or more likely were "invisible" such as "MsMpEng.exe" which to the best of my limited knowledge is a fundamental part of MSE's Malware checker and various other official exe's that went normally present in the list before but are obviously parts of the OS or the Laptops manufacturer supplied software (such as Broadcom Applet and various HP exe's).

Unfortunately the most advisable solution would be to return the system to its previously good condition before I altered a seemingly unimportant setting is pretty difficult as I have no idea how to access those same settings now as obviously the warning doesnt show up (which is how I adjusted it in the first place) and I obviously didn't bother making a restore point as Im half arsed and didn't expect it all to go apeshit.

Ive just let the "Action centre" do its thing and the alarming result was "Windows needs to find more information to try and solve 19 problems" which arrived as I was typing this.

someone 7 savie please tell me how to restore the settings I fecked about with so I can see if it solves the multitude of issues its seemed to cause.

cheers in advance lads.

yanno what, dont worry about it lads........ Im going with the half arsed approach.

ill back up my files and restore it too the update point last week.

I just cant be arsed messin with it.

cheers anyway in advance.

Quit fcuking about with it, and it will work.

no "feckin about" would be needed if it weren't so feckin awkward in the first place........... what happened to each generation being easier to interact with than the last.

XP was a good bench mark in that sense, very simple and straight forward whenever possible, from there tho its just gotten more and more complex instead of simple (Vista was a pile of glitchy wank and so far 7's just struck me as unnecessarily overly involved for the layman user)

btw..... restore worked evidently :pancake:

You probably shut off the security that was trying to help you.

Sounds like something evil was trying to slip by by which you decided it would be best to stop being warned about it & leave yourself wide open?

I say this as it appeared afterwards you had a virus running in the background by your description.

Windows 7 is far better than XP in so many ways it doesnt bear thinking about to go backwards.

User error lol (no honestly it was).

You probably shut off the security that was trying to help you.

Sounds like something evil was trying to slip by by which you decided it would be best to stop being warned about it & leave yourself wide open?

I say this as it appeared afterwards you had a virus running in the background by your description.

Windows 7 is far better than XP in so many ways it doesnt bear thinking about to go backwards.

User error lol (no honestly it was).

possible aye.

however the warning popped up as normal when I tried to run image editing software Ive used a hundred times and I was also not connected to the wireless network at the time.

so if it was some random virus it'd have had to have been pretty sophisticated so that it could first fool MSE into allowing it to plonk its as somewhere on my system in the first place were it sat there quietly waiting dormant on the off chance that some would disable MSE and let it out to play.

also, if that's the case the fecker could still be parked up somewhere on my system still?

also, if that's the case the fecker could still be parked up somewhere on my system still?

But you have updated your antivirus & run a full scan havnt you? :mellow:

And you have checked your system using something like malware bytes?

Edited by PeeWee

But you have updated your antivirus & run a full scan havnt you? :mellow:

And you have checked your system using something like malware bytes?

Im very careful in keeping MSE updated so Im prettty sure its usually working at peak performance.

as for checking for malware, I thought MSE's malware checker was considered quite capable so I didnt think there'd be need for third party software??

I've gone from supporting Vista in the work place back to supporting XP at my new job. XP is horrible. It's what, 10+ years old now, so it's no wonder it looks, feels and acts dated.

W7 for a home user is fantastic.

Anyway, it sounds like you turned UAC off. This can be found under the Users tab in Control Panel. It's got nothing to do with the issues which you now experience though.

You can remove/monitor startup items by typing msconfig in the search bar and then going to the startup tab.

I've gone from supporting Vista in the work place back to supporting XP at my new job. XP is horrible. It's what, 10+ years old now, so it's no wonder it looks, feels and acts dated.

W7 for a home user is fantastic. sorry I preferred the simplicity XP offered over the much more involved setup of 7, unlike yourself and PeeWee though Im not in the IT trade so my requirements expected from my pc's/laptops are likely very much lower than yourselves.

Anyway, it sounds like you turned UAC off. This can be found under the Users tab in Control Panel. It's got nothing to do with the issues which you now experience though. so you agree it might be malware as PeeWee also indicated?

You can remove/monitor startup items by typing msconfig in the search bar and then going to the startup tab. Ive already got that one down from ages back when I had to install Itunes on my lappy to setup my lads Ipod touch, to save having to install the crap on any of the other houses computers I made a point of not uninstalling it and instead disabled it from startup

So do I just let this Malware bites download and do its thing or are their better options?.............just to be on the safe side obviously.

Never assume!

aye fair comment....... "assuming" windows 7 would be better to use than XP was what got me into this mess in the first place :blush:

Windows 7 is better to use it's you thats not lol.

It's also to be fair more simplistic to use too. Operating systems rarely go backwards when advancing forwards. The end user is one of the priorities. Of course being let loose as an Administrator on any OS opens up a can of worms when fiddling around.

Same as you Sid in terms of my new job, Im now back configuring XP throughout many offices. Great bit is that lots of admin commands run via the run command or the cmd window for those ok in dos.