F1 2012

Craig855S

Getting this thread going now so we can discuss the drivers as they are confirmed for next year (still about 6 empty seats on the grid with people like Di resta and Barrichello not knowing if they'll be in F1 next year (i imagine Di resta will be, rubio may not be)

First bit of news

FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Changes to the 2012 Technical Regulations

- All engine standard ECU set up and control parameters, which were formerly contained only within a Technical Directive, are now contained within the relevant parts of the Technical Regulations.

- The exhaust tailpipes are now strictly regulated in order to ensure that the aerodynamic effect exhaust gases have on the car is kept to an absolute minimum. I can stilll see most manufacturers trying their best to aim the exits at a part of the rear wing, and i wonder if off throttle blowing will be completely banned or not?

- Better marking of in-car emergency switches operated by marshals are now stipulated.

- The side impact structures will now have to be subjected to a further (upward) push-off test.

Changes to the 2012 Sporting Regulations

- Cars may no longer take part in pre-season testing without having passed all crash tests.

- There will now be a maximum race time of four hours to ensure that a lengthy suspension of a race does not result in a race that could run up to eight hours if left unregulated.

- Before the safety car returns to the pits all lapped cars will be allowed to unlap themselves and then join the back of the pack, ensuring a clean re-start without slower cars impeding those racing for the leading positions.

- Cars which were in the pit lane when a race is suspended will now be allowed to re-join the cars on the grid in the position they were in when the race was suspended.

- Drivers may no longer leave the track without a justifiable reason, i.e. cutting a chicane on reconnaissance laps or ‘in’ laps to save time and fuel.

- Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.

- One three-day test will be carried out during the season, formerly there were none.

- All stewards’ decisions which are not subject to appeal are now in one place instead of being in various places within the regulations.

- All tyres allocated to a driver may now be used on the first day of practice; formerly only three sets were permitted.

Teams so far

Red Bull Racing Renault

1 Sebastian Vettel (DEU)

2 Mark Webber (AUS)

McLaren Mercedes

3 Jenson Button (GBR)

4 Lewis Hamilton (GBR)

Ferrari

5 Fernando Alonso (ESP)

6 Felipe Massa (BRA)

Mercedes

7 Michael Schumacher (DEU)

8 Nico Rosberg (DEU)

Lotus Renault

9 Kimi Raikkonen (FIN)

10 Romain Grosjean (FRA)Returning rookie

Force India Mercedes

11 TBA

12 TBA

Sauber Ferrari

14 Kamui Kobayashi (JPN)

15 Sergio Perez Mendoza (MEX)

STR Ferrari

16 TBA

17 TBA

Williams Renault

18 Pastor Maldonado (VEN)

19 TBA

Caterham Renault

20 Heikki Kovalainen (FIN)

21 Jarno Trulli (ITA)

HRT/TBA

22 Pedro de la Rosa (ESP)

23 TBA

Marussia Cosworth

24 Timo Glock (DEU)

25 Charles Pic (FRA)First timer

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driver A moves to the inside 300 yards early to stop driver B throwing one up the inside in the braking area

Driver B accepts defeat and stays on the racing line

Driver A promptly moves back to the outside to brake and turn in as normal

Driver B cant make a move into the corner as he is now braking on the racing line

Yes, sky will be showing every race live (with brundle and his team) on the sky sports F1 HD channel, if you have sky and subscribe to EITHER sky sports 1&2 OR the HD pack, then you get SSF1HD, so you DONT need to take out a full sports package to get it, but im with virgin so i dont know if ill be able to get SSF1HD at all, and if so, at what cost?

BBC are showing half of the races live, but the rest will just be "highlights" shows, several hours after the race has run

BBC execs were ordered to make savings due to the recession (despite the fact we're paying more for our TV license this year than we did last....) and bernie wanted more money than the BBC were willing to pay for the rights, so the BBC couldnt afford the exclusive and because of that sky have muscled in on it for the next 6 years!

I agree its a stupid decision, i'd rather they axe eastenders and let F1 stay, or even...axe top gear and let F1 stay (Lets face it, top gear is getting shite now, and the 10 episodes a year is a bit rubbish

When it was announced that sky were taking over was a bit worried that the coverage would not be as good as the bbc's. but after seeing the lineup of brundle and croft as commentators, anthony davidson, ted kravitz all moving over to sky, steve rider and georgie thompson doing features, it should still feel the same if not better. would like to see coulthard there to as really enjoyed the commentry this year.

i was at sky last couple of weeks and they look like they are putting a lot of effort into it, shame it will have ads (not during track time) though.

Hope Mclaren and ferrari have a good car fom the start of the season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone watch any of the F1 shows this weekend on sky?. i think it's been quite good, they have shown car launches, testing,old season reviews(1990 on now) and had interviews with past and present drivers. next weeks melbourne Gp coverage should be good as they seem to be putting in a similar effort and tech as they do with football coverage. The sound is now in 5.1 and the cars sound amazing.

Testing hasn't thrown up any surprises so qualifying will be when we see the car's real speed. hope it's tighter between red bull, mclaren and ferrari than last season.

Edited by JAMGTI

Damn. I want Sky so I can watch the F1 channel. I think Id rather save the money Id spend on Sky though and put it towards going a live GP... hm...

Anyway, anyone else going to be keeping an eye on Grosjean this season? I reckon he could do well if the Lotus (er Renaults) are on form this year:

I watched the F1 show on Sky 1 saturday morning, it does seem like sky are going to do the sport justice and if I think its easily worth getting a sky HD package to watch it (however I cant ask im contracted with virgin still...but if i wasnt)

The F1 show showed that red bull are blowing their exhaust at some wings on top of the rear hubs now (6 little ones per wheel) to get downforce from the gas.

What im wondering is are they going to burn fuel off throttle or is that banned?

Hopefully one or two new teams will see the podium this year, i hope to see paul di resta up there at least once and hopefully schumi