Speakers.

Ahmotorsport

Hello all.

I got a PC for Christmas.

It's XP btw.

I've been installing everything and putting music on it etc and after that i went to play some songs, but windows media player said that it couldn't play the songs because there's something wrong with it or they arent there sort of thing. Then i noticed the sound icon wasn't in the bottom right hand corner and in the control panel it says that there is nothing connected. So i plugged them into my phone and they worked fine. So i googled it and followed some bits on there and nothing.

There were no drivers with the speakers, it just says "plug them in" to shorten it down.

I've tried

Control panel > Admin tools > Settings > Windows Audio and it was already set to Auto and "started"

Then i saw someone having exactly the same problem as me and he said on start up, before windows loads go to set up and "Load Optimized Defaults" so i did that and nothing.

Anyone help me? It's getting on my t!ts now.

I was going to say sound card, my friend bought a computer and he deleted everything he didnt use to make it look 'more neat' and ended up deleting his sound card in the process And had no startup discs lol

Lawl haha xD Well this came with nothing on it, so i presume they did the same! Not to worry, off to get a router in a bit so i'll see if i can download a driver for it.

it you go through the device manager it should show the sound card as un installed, connect to internet and it should allow you to update the driver...

assuming its not on board sound and its been disabled in the bios settings...

Just got the internet sorted now. Christ setting that router up took some doing!

I'll give that a go now JC, thanks.

Tried sound card driver, still nothing :(

I go to Device manager, i click sound.

It comes up with this

Audio Codecs

Legacy Audio Drivers

Legacy Video Capture Devices

Media Control Devices

Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

Video Codecs

It says they're all working fine.

What's this BIOS you speak of? I've seen it when i go into set up before Windows loads. Is there anything i can try there? Thanks.

My mate Martin had a go on here using "LogMeIn" and he tried all sorts of things but no joy, i just did a system restore (i could only go back to Nov 2011 but it's still before i had it) so i tried that. That didn't work.

Anyone got any ideas? Probably going to re-install windows next if no-one has any suggestions. Cheers.

Have you plugged the speakers into the headphone port?

The above may sound patronising but Sid is quite right.

Having spent ages fiddling with a pc one I discovered (purely by accident) that the soundcard fitted to that model indeed did not work unless something was plugged into the speaker insert be it headphones or speakers.

Basically some soundcards have a socket recognition setup to determine if anything is in the socket.

Have you plugged the speakers into the headphone port?

The above may sound patronising but Sid is quite right.

Having spent ages fiddling with a pc one I discovered (purely by accident) that the soundcard fitted to that model indeed did not work unless something was plugged into the speaker insert be it headphones or speakers.

Basically some soundcards have a socket recognition setup to determine if anything is in the socket.

Yes, i'm sure they're plugged in.

Are you sure they're plugged into the right place?

Have you tried headphones in case it's the speakers?

Yes, green to green. Tried rear spocket and front, i've tried all the others as well just incase.

The speakers are currently playing music from my phone. I've also tried Mums speakers.

Edited by Ahmotorsport

You will need to establish your motherboard, then you can source the drivers for the onboard card.

The drivers you listed as working appear to be the simple windows drivers & codecs but no actual sound card drivers.

You may have to install the soundcard manually but until we establish your board we can't go forward i'm afraid.

You could be looking for Soundmax, AC97 or similar, cant tell yet?

The memory tool on Crucial's site may quickly establish your Motherboard?

Another option is to simply buy a cheap soundcard (usually obtained between £5-£10) and go with that (more than likely giving you better sound options anyway).

There is still the possibility that the onboard sound is disabled in the bios (can'r recall if you yet investigated this fully)?