Wifi/broadband

Andyb0127

You'll have to forgive me, I'll try to explain this as best as i can, as computers are not my strong point (don't use them enough), but basically our broadban/wifi is with orange they have upgraded our router, I've installed it all as per instructions it a net gear router, the problem is with the wifi, my two daughters laptops will connect to wifi, but it's intermittent and laptop looses signal, my wife's iPhone shows its connected to wifi but will not connect to anything, but my iPhone has no problems.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be, like I said you'll have to take into account I'm not that up to date with these type of problems, thought I'd ask as I know a lot on here are into IT.

Thanks for any advice :thumb:

i have got a the same net gear router and i got iphone my iphone connects perfectly to router and the bloke who lives in flat below can connect his itouch to it perfectly

My iPhone connects and works perfectly, just seems that the two laptops and two other iPhones, will show there joined to wifi, with full wifi signal, but will not open or work just says could not connect to network.

I'd suspect interference if it's intermittent and would look into changing the channel the wireless is broadcast on.

Did you get an instruction booklet with the router or do you want advice on how to do this?

The instruction book we got to be honest isn't much help what so ever. Any advice you could give would be a great help. :thumb:

Try choosing one of the iphones "not working" with the router and go into the wireless settings.

Select the router your connected to & then forget network option.

When done try to reconnect to your router & re insert the wireless network key when prompted.

Could well be that rather than the wireless channel being set to a static channel it may have an auto channel setting, this is supposedly ment to scan the enviroment around it and select a channel to suit, some devices hate this feature and results in dropping wireless. Another thing that can happen is the routers security is set with a mixed wpa encryption, if you look at the encryption settings and see if its set to wpa/wpa2 psk

If so try setting it to either wpa OR wpa2

Failing that then the router is probably shafted

Phone Orange - likelihood is they will sort it - if router is broke they will send you a new one - before you got to that stage they will talk you through all the different settings that you can try live and in action on the end of the phone.

Granted it may be someone that sounds like the Phone Jacker at the other end that's reading from a script, but it is they that have sent you the new router so it is they that need to make sure it works.

I find this is the easiest way of sorting Tech issues.