Hackintosh

PeeWee

Yeah, mine's booting from the internal drive now. Still need to install the bootloader to the drive (using the usb at the minute), but may as well wait til Ive installed linux and 7, then put chameleon on last. I didn't use iBoot, everything you need for Lion from the App store is with Unibeast.

Dependent on which version of OS X you want to use, if you have a 10.6 SL DVD then you could use a boot cd thats knocking around, otherwise with 10.7 Lion you can include IOATAFamily.kext into the USB S/L/E directory and repair the permissions, but I didn't have any luck with that (although I didn't try with my new USB pen, as the old one dying may have been the reason it didn't work in the first place). I just installed onto the external, added the required kext and cloned across. Wish Id done that in the first place.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you got your Lion was it in dmg format?

Mine is & I placed it in my apps folder then launched it so it's now mounted.

Is this right and ready for unibeast this way?

Or mounted like this do I choose the app store option or the thumb drive option?

When I open the mounted lion drive it shows the lion cd symbol?

I didn't think you could get lion in .dmg format, at least not directly. There's an installer .app and a usb thumb drive for a billion pounds from Apple. The Unibeast installer uses the .dmg thats nested within the .app, so I guess you could manually point it to the lion .dmg you have?

You don't need to do any of the mounting yourself, just prep an 8gb usb pen drive and then run unibeast and it'll put a boot loader, lion installer et al onto the drive, which you then boot from and install from there on.

I always test run these things then purchase so I have a dmg file at the moment.

This is mounted as a drive now you see, when I open the mounted dmg I see a folder containing what looks like the Lion CD plus other files.

So I guess it is showing as if it is the thumb drive now?

So I'm assuming I go down the route as if I had the thumb drive physically?

Ok, when I try to install to the pen using unibeast it only takes about 20 seconds, how does the Lion installer get on there because atm theres still most of the 8 gig left in space on the pen drive?

Do I copy the contents of my mounted lion dmg onto the pen???

Also will Lion run on a dual core intel (I dont thing this is a core2duo)

Edited by PeeWee

How big is the "install Mac OS X Lion" app? That's all I had, none of those folders. Does the package contain any .dmg files? If so, try dropping that into the Applications folder and run Unibeast, it should be able to see it automatically from there. Unibeast should take around 20 minutes to install (despite the installer claiming it'll take 16 hours or so).

I popped the contents into the applications folder including the app (the app was only small but the contents of the packages folder was 3.31 gb.

Ran unibeast using the appstore option & that looks like it's doing the business, on mine it says less than 1 minute but taken about 20 mins like you said.

Need to put together this Optiplex next as it needs a psu & possibly a hard drive.

Once unibeast had done it unmounted my lion dmg.

Is it bootable?

Yes, it went great and installed lion very quick.

No sound or lan yet though but I havnt done multibeast yet (Im sure that installs some drivers doesnt it)?

I am not very well up on kexts so not sure how I search & install them?

Any advice or links welcomed.

I don't think you'll need it, the DSDT files are made for specific motherboards and I doubt theres a specific one for yours. You can make one, but Ive not done that yet. I think kexts are analogous to drivers, and multi beast should take care of that. Otherwise, google'll take care of it.

Argh, won't let me download multi beast. The forums have just changed site and I need to reregister, but it won't send out the bleeding activation email. Couldn't pop it in an email could you? if it isn't too big.

You should be able to boot into single user mode and remove the kexts you installed. If not, might just be easier to wipe it and start again, didn't take long to install.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=277661

boot into single user by typing -s at the chameleon prompt.

type /sbin/mount -uw / at the prompt.

Type rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

Type rm -rf /Extra/ *.mkext

Type reboot.

Ah, nevermind. New account creation is working, Ive just reregistered.