Some Advice on Tyres

scottg17

If you are buying all new matching tyres for a car, stay clear of the FK452's, they are being discontinued and being replaced with the 453.

They have gone asymmetric rather than directional.

Facts :

In contrast to the previous FK452, dry handling has been improved by 25 percent whilst handling on wet surfaces is enhanced by 30 percent, delivering useful gains in control for lane changes and higher speed cornering. A combination of tread pattern and compound changes has led to eight percent reduction over the FK452 in braking distance on wet surfaces. To break the water film and deflect the water more effectively than conventional tread patterns, Falken has implemented three central tread grooves and staggered sipes integrated into the first tread bar on the tyre shoulder. In line with its other new products such as the ZE914, Falken has increased the silica proportion. The strain characteristics of silica offer a larger contact area and better grip for the same tyre diameter, resulting in stronger interaction with the road surface.

http://www.tiremedia.com/images/tire-big/falken-azenis-fk453cc.jpg

I wouldn't have part worns Nowt wrong with part worns mate, just got me 2 Bridgestone 050As with 5mm left on them from £70 delivered (compared to £326 new from blackcircles) OK they will only last less than half as long as the new set but i'd rather pay £70 twice than £326 once. OK if you need 4 all at one time then getting part worns may be a problem but if you have a common tyre size then it'll be easy enough to get them in 2 matched pairs (im currently struggling to find another pair of 225/45/18 for my car, looks like ill have to use contis on one axle and bstones on the other...anything is better than ditchfinders all round like i currently have)

and Craig855S you and tyres always worry me :pancake: Fair shout lol, wierdly i got the tracking sorted after my last incident, and still managed to trash the shoulders of these new ones (they came with my 18s when i bought them, about 10,000 miles ago, now ive had it 4 wheel lasered and am promised its straight, but ill be gauge monitoring these tyres im about to buy every few weeks

And I've just gone and bout another pair of matyched 050As with at least 5mm left on them from ebay, 80 quid delivered. So that's a set of 4, all healthy, for £210 once i've added the cost of fitting

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/3553...ed-tyre-scandal

Yeah, but you can save £50 in the long run, and so what if you don't know about the quality and history of part worns, its only putting your own and your familys lives on the line if one of the tyres is a pup.

And I've just gone and bout another pair of matyched 050As with at least 5mm left on them from ebay, 80 quid delivered. So that's a set of 4, all healthy, for £210 once i've added the cost of fitting

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/3553...ed-tyre-scandal

Yeah, but you can save £50 in the long run, and so what if you don't know about the quality and history of part worns, its only putting your own and your familys lives on the line if one of the tyres is a pup.

I haven't saved £50, ive saved £500, and ok they have had 2.5mm of wear put on them before i got them but they're worn evenly and the insides are in great condition (1 has a proper plug repair in the centre of the tread). The sidewalls are perfect and the bead is perfect. Bitching and moaning about the condition of them other than what I can see with my "untrained" eye is comparable to bitching and moaning about the condition of the tyres on a car that has covered 30,000 miles from new and is being sold on a forecourt...And do any of you do that? Tell the dealer that you want brand new rubber as you dont trust that the first owner never ran them under-inflated, or that the plug repair in one of them could possibly be duff?

That auto express article is a non starter (only 1 of them was legal because the seller hadnt put "part worn" on the sidewall in ink, and plugged repairs lacked the correct labelling....niff naff)

I'll take my chances thanks. I wouldnt fit a tyre that i wasnt happy with but these are all in great condition.