off roaders

robbie

basically i have a new job which means i will be working closer to home also working days and where i live in new forest and close to salisbury plain i fancy getting a off roader for bit of fun im not interested in anything fancy got a budget of about £900ish what would people recommend ?

£900 ?

Daihatsu Fourtrak.

Preferably one with some metal left on it.

Don't even think about any Land Rover for this kinda money if you want to keep it longer than a month.

depends what he's thinking of tbf (in regards to "fun" that is)

For 9 ton he could pick up a old farm yard rover with a good engine, box and running gear, lose most of the panels and shorten the shell for next to no cash outlay (at 900 you'll find plenty of rovers with rotten rear shells) and come away with the start of what would be a crackin weekend mud mountain climber (tbf though it wont be very practical for anything else though)

£900 ?

Daihatsu Fourtrak.

Don't even think about any Land Rover for this kinda money if you want to keep it longer than a month.

For 9 ton he could pick up a old farm yard rover with a good engine, box and running gear, lose most of the panels and shorten the shell for next to no cash outlay (at 900 you'll find plenty of rovers with rotten rear shells) and come away with the start of what would be a crackin weekend mud mountain climber (tbf though it wont be very practical for anything else though)

Just the rear?

I wouldn't touch a £900 Land Rover. You'll easily spend as much again welding it.

You're probably looking along the lines of a Jimny or something.

£900 ?

Daihatsu Fourtrak.

Just the rear?

I wouldn't touch a £900 Land Rover. You'll easily spend as much again welding it.

You're probably looking along the lines of a Jimny or something.

the cab section on the old rovers are pretty sturdy compared to the rear loading bays (especially when it comes to the open backed flatbed variants preferred by farmers), Ive seen a few rovers with rear decks like swiss cheese while the cab section only seems to have suffered a good few years of mud encrustment from farmer jiles wellies.

For a mud mountain plugger 3xR "rotten rear rovers" are the perfect conversion candidates and once all the access body panels are cut away which inturn shortens the vehicles overall length (I believe it gets even shorter than the original defender variant) you end up with 4x4 that not only climbs the hill, it squats, curls one off at the summit and slides down the other side on its ar5e for giggles :pancake: .

but like I said, after your done lobing off bits there's little practical use for the car barring being able to drive it up ridiculously muddy inclines and mountainous hillsides while it merrily coats you in mud and makes you a candidate for the Daz Doorstep challenge at the end of the day, must be worth it though, there's a large growing amateur following of this particular weekend countryside destroying sport.

• 4 months later...