Internet Connection

Ahmotorsport

Evening.

As of the past couple of days i've noticed my connection isn't as consistent as it was. It used to always be at 54Mbps Very good signal. Now, it fluctuates constantly, dropping down to 12mbps and very low signal and everything in between, i haven't moved it's position, nor the routers, i've reset all of them, even uninstalled and re-installed the wireless adapter (TP - LINK TL-WN727N)

What reasons could there be for this?

Thanks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps your neighbours have bought a wireless router and you're getting interference. You could look at switching the wireless channel on the router to see if that improves things.

Never used wireless as a permanent solution myself though.

How would i go about that? My Router (Belkin N150) doesn't come with any destructions and i don't recommend it to anyone.

I've found something on google, it may or may not be what i want, but i shall do it when i can get on the 'puter downstairs. Chaaars.

You can access Google though? :P

You can find the IP address of yoru router by clicking on the Start menu, Run, then type cmd. This will launch a command prompt window. In there, type ipconfig and hit enter. Your Default Gateway (will be something like 192.168.1.1) is your router. Type this number into the address bar of an IE window and it should take you to the log-in screen for your router.

The username and password will either be on a sticker on the bottom of the router or you can google it using your router model number. It'll be something like username: admin password: password, though.

Once you get there most interfaces are different, but you can ask away.

Edited by sidrick

You realise this is your wireless speed not your internet speed?

Unless your on fibre your unlikely to be getting down speeds over 8mb anyway so the speed of your wireless wont be affecting your internet performance.

Are you using a wireless dongle or a pci internal card, if internal card check the antenna?

You realise this is your wireless speed not your internet speed?

Unless your on fibre your unlikely to be getting down speeds over 8mb anyway so the speed of your wireless wont be affecting your internet performance.

Are you using a wireless dongle or a pci internal card, if internal card check the antenna?

Aye i know, but when it does drop down to 18mbps etc the internet does get slower, i'm certain it's not me!

It's a dongle (TP-LINK)

Your title is misleading, you don't have an internet connection problem you have a wireless adapter problem.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Tell me the down speed results.

Re install the dongle. (please remember to have the drivers to hand, you cant download them after removing the drivers)

Edited by PeeWee

http://www.speedtest.net/

Tell me the down speed results.

Re install the dongle. (please remember to have the drivers to hand, you cant download them after removing the drivers)

I've already uninstalled and re-installed it.

Shall do the test now.

Ping - 21ms

Download speed - 12.57mbps

Up speed - 0.86mbps