RJ45 Splitter

RobMk6

Got a slight problem, in my forces accomodation I have an ethernet socket with two plugs in,

I've rang my service provider to enable me to play xbox via my internet connection (media force)

However I can only use either my laptop OR xbox at a time due to only one of the sockets working.

HAving removed the socket from the wall both are wired and labelled but only one works, been round all the other lads rooms and again its only one socket in each room working.

Is there anyway I can buy an ethernet cable splitter, plug that into the one working socket and then run a cable to my laptop and to my xbox from the splitter?

The only other option I think I have is to buy a wireless adaptor for my xbox and run it through the laptop?

Only thing is I'll only bee needing to use my xbox online for two days so dont wanna be buying expensive kit, so if anyone has any suggestions fire them up,

Cheers

Rob

I'm assuming Stu that by switch you mean it switches from one to the other?

Essentially I want to find a way to have both on at the same time, as with every base I've been on I get no phone signal, so I text the missus etc with my phone through my laptop using connectify.

See I'm not sure any of these will work as when I rang media force to enable my xbox they asked for the mac address of the xbox so will these need something similar? If so media force wont allow them to be used.

Should be fine, the mac address of your devices will work through the splitter.

See I'm not sure any of these will work as when I rang media force to enable my xbox they asked for the mac address of the xbox so will these need something similar? If so media force wont allow them to be used.

It's possible access is restricted by MAC address. You will have to ask them if you can supply multiple MAC addresses.

Some routers have an ethernet switch built in (basically anything with the typical 4-5 ports on the back).. you can just use one of those, although you need to ensure it's configured right or you may upset your network administrator.. safer with a switch!..

No, it will pass through ethernet frames with the MAC addresses of the devices hooked up to it, e.g. your xbox and whatever else.

It will be the same or similar setup to how I restrict offices I support, all devices are bind to mac address regardless of the switch that simply allows devices plugged in through.