pc rebuild/upgrade log

scottybo

I kind of like the whole overclocking scene, seeing how much hardware can be safely pushed, but what kind of home user would regularly max out an i5 or i7? These bundles are just a gimmick, in my humble opinion. Anyway, if you're building your own machine, you'll be happier OC'ing it yourself rather than paying someone else money to set a few BIOS settings. Edited by sidrick

in fairness i know a lot of people bag on amd's bit performance per pound they cant be matched. the regular home user could run quite happily on a phenom dual tbh. if anyone is looking to build a new comp soon. then we can do it together and keep track on a thread. id be quite happy to guide someone through step by step!

I do need a new Mobo soon though so I can get DDR3 ram and significantly upgrade my CPU (at the minute the best I can have is a quad core 3.3GHz)

Let me know if plan on selling the Core2Quad... I have a nice 775 board collecting dust.

I dont have a quad core, i have an AMD 3 core at 2.8GHz overclocked to 3, i could upgrade to 4 cores at 3.3 (which i believe is model number 945 in the AMD range) but thats the very best my board can handle, so instead of upgrading a small amount im going to wait and get a new proc thats miles ahead of my current one and demands a new board.

ah nice one, i hate making offers because i dont want to upset anyone lol, how much would you be after and could you post?

the phenom 945 is 3ghz, the speed of the processor is relevant really as to what your motherboard will support, if ur using a triple core the u have an am3 socket board, depending on its tdp limitations and bios revision u could get any am3 socket processor in there

I do need a new Mobo soon though so I can get DDR3 ram and significantly upgrade my CPU (at the minute the best I can have is a quad core 3.3GHz)

Let me know if plan on selling the Core2Quad... I have a nice 775 board collecting dust.

i bought an asus ai lifestyle 775 board at the carboot last week for a tenner, tested it and it worked alright, put it on ebay....sold for £50.56!