Footballers Wages

Naylor2006

The Carlos Tevez payslip got me thinking, there are far too many people out their who winge and moan about players and their wages and continue to miss the point, maybe its just me.

Think im one of the few who is ambivalent about footballers wages, relatively short careers, the level of commitment to the job, media attention, stupid fans etc

Tell you what winds me up is the people who blame footballers for their stupid wages and discredit them for it, sure Ashley Cole was quite public about how ridiculous his improved offer was even though it was more in a week then most people can dream about in a year but in general its not their fault. Football clubs use money far to much to tempt players to come play for their team, of course this will cloud your judgement with regards to where and who you actually want to play for. City and Chelsea do not help the situation at all. Theo Walcott, dear oh dear, thinking he can get a better deal elsewhere, now hes benched, why he got a big head I dont know, United dont want him, City dont want him, Chelsea dont want him, Spurs dont want him, so where did he think he was gonna go? Dime bar.

Omg, the recent affair where Ronaldo was 'upset' because he wasnt on a twatzillion a year, hes one of the (and in my opinion THE best but im not opening that one up) the best players in the world but surely he would be content with what he earns.....but no, someone else earns more.

Youve got greedy agents seeking more money for their clients interests and a culture has come in where players apparently make demands about how much they think they should be on a week and if they dont match that then they will look for the club that will. Nani annoys me, asks for £130,000 a week when hes on £90,000 currently, United negotiations fall down because ultimately they dont want to pay that cause clearly they dont think hes worth that and his own self importance is going to lead to him being sold where as one point when on form he was a league winner for us.

I remember being tempted away from my job once because someone was prepared to better my wage, I asked my current employer if they could match it if I took on additional responsiblity which they did, times this by a million and you get the football situation.

Players like Gareth Bale should be applauded really, clearly he could get bigger bucks elsewhere but wants to play for Spurs, hopefully he doesnt let me down and my point.

Too many people discredit footballers as people because of their wage which 9 times out of 10 I think isnt their fault.

Anyone got any interesting points to make on the subject?

Edited by Naylor2006

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good topic, Naylor. Hopefully this provokes a good debate in here (which Evo doesn't have enough of these days).

I agree with you insofar as football is a business, and players should have the freedom to go out and get what they understand they're "worth". I love that we have leagues all over the world which operate roughly the same way (under FIFA's sanctions) and it allows players to move between clubs, experience different leagues etc.

Footballers wages, and any Sportsman's wages for that matter, are driven by the revenue the club brings in. Lets not forget that the better teams also generate revenue through Sky / TV appearances, and by winning trophies.

Generally speaking, I could not care less what a sportsman earns.

However, where this argument falls down for me is how salaries are constantly rising and are not restricted.

FIFA has tried to implement rules which prevent teams from spending too much money when BUYING players. This is a step in the right direction, but it does still not allow every club to be AS competitive. The fact that ANY rich owner can come on to any team and pay them whatever he wants, to me, is absurd.

To put that into perspective, I'll use the NBA as an example (though I know the NFL, NHL etc operate similar caps / restrictions on salary).

The NBA has a salary cap of roughly $58 million per year to payroll their entire roster. This mean that if any team wants to bring in a super team of the best players, they have to adhere to the cap - and therefore, players have to take a steep paycut to what they may be entitled to elsewhere in the league, based on their market value. There are a number of rules and regulations which make up this salary cap, but that's broadly it

As there are so many leagues around the world for football, I don't know if FIFA could ever implement something globally, but it need to be considered imo

I don't really care what footballers earn, we would all love to earn what they do but it's never going to happen. the clubs pay them what they think they are worth regarding bringing success and revenue to the club.

Doesn't matter what line of work your in if someone is willing to pay you a lot of money you wouldn't say no. but this would make your workmates want similar or more money depending on what they do. this is made worse in football as most players wages are made public hence average players want to be paid like the world class ones in the same club.

Salary caps would be good but i think wages have gone too far and doubt they could get them down to a realistic level ( whatever that would be in football lol). if they did all earn a similar wage then maybe the fans would think they are playing for the club, success, history, loyalty and not just money.

We do need footballers and sportsmen (even bankers,CEOs etc) to earn big money because of the amount of tax it brings in, aslong as they aren't doing a jimmy carr and avoiding it (most of us would if we could).

the money they earn is disgusting to be honest when considering other sportsmen are on lot less for more of a dangerous sport

I also think the money footballers earn is way to much, but the way I look at it is if the players were not earning the money then it just means the actual owners of the clubs would be earning the money them self, or am I wrong? also bare in mind the owners of these clubs are "business men" and being a business owner you have to invest in your business for it to succeed, so these "business men" are obviously worth a lot of money so they are used to messing around with larger sums of money for there businesses to succeed (in this case the football club) and also the money they chuck into there business (football club) then it is a tax write off at the end of the year

I don't blame the players, everyone WILL abuse a situation if they get the chance too.

I just feel there is too much money in the sport in general. OK maybe it's one area where the money ends up back in the Tax purse unlike rich companies who dodge tax these footballers are actually paying it.

Why do tickets for matches cost so much? A season ticket for one of the top clubs is probably more than 10% of most peoples salaries. Thereby pricing out working class people (unless they dont have children, or care more about football than their kids)

Also why are all the sponsorship deals worth so much, and why do they demand so much for their broadcasting rights?

Just dont know how a country can say its doing well for itself when there arent enough jobs to go around yet there are billions and billions in the sport of football (and other sports too)

I don't blame the players, everyone WILL abuse a situation if they get the chance too.

I just feel there is too much money in the sport in general. OK maybe it's one area where the money ends up back in the Tax purse unlike rich companies who dodge tax these footballers are actually paying it.

Why do tickets for matches cost so much? A season ticket for one of the top clubs is probably more than 10% of most peoples salaries. Thereby pricing out working class people (unless they dont have children, or care more about football than their kids)

Also why are all the sponsorship deals worth so much, and why do they demand so much for their broadcasting rights?

Just dont know how a country can say its doing well for itself when there arent enough jobs to go around yet there are billions and billions in the sport of football (and other sports too)

I think the owners of the football clubs put so much money into the clubs to avoid paying tax? as what ever they put into the football club is a tax write off, so it is basically a way of paying less tax

the players may be paying tax, but the owners will be paying less tax then they probably should (i think? lol)

I think its stupid the amount of money players get paid. On the other hand and as someone mentioned, If your offered it your not gonna turn it down. But look at the situation for what it is....

....Few hours a day practice (up until lunch anyway), A game on the weekend or every 4-5 days if playing in multiple competitions and what....average prem player wage...£150,000 a week ......THIS IS TO KICK A BALL FOR 90 MINS. The very aspect of it is ludacrous. Im not bothered to bang on and on about it though but that was my bit for the topic anyway X(

I think its stupid the amount of money players get paid. On the other hand and as someone mentioned, If your offered it your not gonna turn it down. But look at the situation for what it is....

....Few hours a day practice (up until lunch anyway), A game on the weekend or every 4-5 days if playing in multiple competitions and what....average prem player wage...£150,000 a week ......THIS IS TO KICK A BALL FOR 90 MINS. The very aspect of it is ludacrous. Im not bothered to bang on and on about it though but that was my bit for the topic anyway X(

what he said!!!

and as for them having a short career. Boo fcuking hoo!! they have just had years of getting paid ridculous money for doing there hobby as a job. Besides which, if you earn what they earn and retire at, let's say, 30..........if you haven't got enough money for life, then you are a t*at. (£50k a week over 10 years is £26m for example)

the whole football thing really boils my head. Spurs are getting a £££££££££££££££££££million new stadium...........built in an area of relative poverty :tired:

Glad this has triggered a decent debate, will consider a decend response to the great comments so far later but Lee Grout, dead oh dear, this is exactly the mindless opinion that winds me up mate. You need to look more at how much a pro footballer does, it's not just a bit of training and 90 minutes at the weekend.

I'm glad you said it though because it was this sort of nonsense that got me to post and proves a point. :cheers:

what he said!!!

and as for them having a short career. Boo fcuking hoo!! they have just had years of getting paid ridculous money for doing there hobby as a job. Besides which, if you earn what they earn and retire at, let's say, 30..........if you haven't got enough money for life, then you are a t*at. (£50k a week over 10 years is £26m for example)

the whole football thing really boils my head. Spurs are getting a £££££££££££££££££££million new stadium...........built in an area of relative poverty :tired:

.......and you lol

Glad this has triggered a decent debate, will consider a decend response to the great comments so far later but Lee Grout, dead oh dear, this is exactly the mindless opinion that winds me up mate. You need to look more at how much a pro footballer does, it's not just a bit of training and 90 minutes at the weekend.

I'm glad you said it though because it was this sort of nonsense that got me to post and proves a point. :cheers:

what he said!!!

.......and you lol

guess i'm fairly ignorant to what a footballer apparently does? care to share?

what he said!!!

.......and you lol

guess i'm fairly ignorant to what a footballer apparently does? care to share?

Maybe later, it would take ages and I'm off back to sleep before night shift number 6 of 7.

This info's out there though.

Maybe later, it would take ages and I'm off back to sleep before night shift number 6 of 7.

This info's out there though.

you have opted out of the working time directive then? :D

not sure if any info will change my mind really to be honest.

Some footballers earn more in a week than the Prime Minister in a year :roll: