Footballers Wages

Naylor2006

Glad this has triggered a decent debate, will consider a decend response to the great comments so far later but Lee Grout, dead oh dear, this is exactly the mindless opinion that winds me up mate. You need to look more at how much a pro footballer does, it's not just a bit of training and 90 minutes at the weekend.

I'm glad you said it though because it was this sort of nonsense that got me to post and proves a point. :cheers:

I think its stupid the amount of money players get paid. On the other hand and as someone mentioned, If your offered it your not gonna turn it down. But look at the situation for what it is....

....Few hours a day practice (up until lunch anyway), A game on the weekend or every 4-5 days if playing in multiple competitions and what....average prem player wage...£150,000 a week ......THIS IS TO KICK A BALL FOR 90 MINS. The very aspect of it is ludacrous. Im not bothered to bang on and on about it though but that was my bit for the topic anyway X(

what he said!!!

and as for them having a short career. Boo fcuking hoo!! they have just had years of getting paid ridculous money for doing there hobby as a job. Besides which, if you earn what they earn and retire at, let's say, 30..........if you haven't got enough money for life, then you are a t*at. (£50k a week over 10 years is £26m for example)

the whole football thing really boils my head. Spurs are getting a £££££££££££££££££££million new stadium...........built in an area of relative poverty :tired:

.......and you lol

guess i'm fairly ignorant to what a footballer apparently does? care to share?

Maybe later, it would take ages and I'm off back to sleep before night shift number 6 of 7.

This info's out there though.

You 2 have been a bit silly saying its an easy life for them. I'm quite confident they probably "work" (by which i mean attend training/attend matches/attend sponsors shite etc) a hefty amount of hours every week (I'm gonna assume its easily 40+ hours, many of those being physical in nature)

But still, fit people love doing physical activity so they probably dont get demoralized by the thought of running around in the freezing cold from 8AM til lunchtime every day wheras I'd be suicidal if that was my life. (Especially when they can count each step they take in pounds.. "It may be fcuking baltic but that 10 yard sprint earnt me 70 quid")

So being a footballer does require a lot of dedication and talent, however, their importance to society is Fcuk all, yet they get a disproportionate amount of money for their unimportant job.

You could say the same for an awful lot of sportspeople to be honest but Footballers draw the most hate as there are so many of them and they get a shedload for kicking a ball

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Footballers are an easy target for the amount they get paid. there are many jobs that get paid loads for doing what seems to be very little.

No one moans at what actors get paid, for example daniel craig is reported to be getting upto £32 million for the next 2 bond films, so thats about £8 million per hour on screen.

Football is also one of the most if not the most watched sport around the world, the Premiership being very popular and the world cup well, speaks for its self.

Craig made pretty much all the points I wanted to and the overall reason for the topic was the mindless comments and hate for footballers as people because of their wages. I know that Tevez apparently refusing to play and then going on hiatus whilst still for a while taking a full wage makes alot of people think footballers are w4nkers, really its a minority though.

Another point I want to make is regarding the abuse, most of us will remember David Beckham getting sent off against Argentina, he went on to recieve death threats to him and his wife, this is before twitter too where its easy, he had bullets with his name engraved on them posted through his door, he was boo'd everywhere he went, abused in public whilst trying to have a normal life, yet he still turned up for training every day, worked hard at his craft and developed further into one of Uniteds most memorable players. Forgive me for using my own team as an example but there are others just this one I know more about for obvious reasons. So yes Beckham made a mistake with the whole world watching but he hasnt chosen to be famous, he has chosen to be the best at football and to which fame is a by product, some might argue that in such a high profile sport where the gain is so high but the loss is so so low the wages are relative. As correctly pointed out earlier the wages are mostly relative to the clubs earnings and the potential money that winning the league can bring in, its not so much price money but sponsorship, tv rights etc.

All that abuse that footballers get at stadiums, more so at away games and more so at certain grounds, im sure the money they know they are earning takes the edge off that a little bit.

A top footballers life pretty much revolves around football for their entire playing career, during an internation year like the world cup or euro they pretty much finish the season then straight off for internation duty then back for the new season with nearly no break. Sometimes a serious injury can cut short a players career and most of them dont exactly finish school with the best qualifications mostly because the top top players are fished out and only play football.

Anyway, thanks for the good posts, Ill be honest and expect many posts just like Lee Grouts!

Maybe later, it would take ages and I'm off back to sleep before night shift number 6 of 7.

This info's out there though.

you have opted out of the working time directive then? :D

not sure if any info will change my mind really to be honest.

Some footballers earn more in a week than the Prime Minister in a year :roll:

Lol, didnt see this earlier, yeh, well I get 4 rest days before 2 days back in before 5 more rest days before the start of the rota again which is 9 weeks long in total and on average I work 7.4 hours a day like most full timers. The reality is that most of my shifts at 8-9 hours long in order to accumilate the rest time after nights.

I love my job though, few extra hours never hurt me :)

Anyway, thanks for the good posts, Ill be honest and expect many posts just like Lee Grouts!

Thanks.....

Like I said, I dont bang on and on about it. I justy viewed my 1 opinion. I know you say about publicity, adverts e.t.c e.t.c but thats mainly for the 'top' players. The likes of your tevez's and rooney's. There a hell of a lot of prem players who still get paid silly amounts who dont do all the adverts and extra things. Like I said, 90 mins to play a game of footy plus training........does it need to = £ stupid money?

NO.

But it does so.......

I have to say Im quite surprised you seem to justify how much they're paid!? Im not saying they dont deserve a good wage or they dont train hard..... but Rooney £250.000 a week......BEFORE any advertising or any extras??? Are you MENTAL?

Half of all this is greed if not all. The only reason Tevez and lots of other players go to man city is because city will pay for them, just so no one else can have them. They are not worth big money like that but they would rather pay them handsomly for their service rather than letting them go to another club. It just depends who owns the club.

Would you say you did more 'work' than your average footballer?

not particually. I have a fairly easy job.

I work longer hours though, fairly sure of that.

This aint about me though, I don't earn £250k a week. It would take me about 8 years to earn that :roll:

Edited by Lee R

Would you say you did more 'work' than your average footballer?

not particually. I have a fairly easy job.

I work longer hours though, fairly sure of that.

This aint about me though, I don't earn £250k a week. It would take me about 8 years to earn that :roll:

But you say you don't accept they work, therefore if you think that they do more work than you, you're hardly in a position to judge.

As I said before, the tax on Tevez's wage each month pays the wage of 150 average soldiers or nurses. Can't really see how that could be a bad thing.

as I said earlier, it's more getting paid to do your hobby, rather than 'work'...... in my opinion.

I never said they do more work than me, I also have never said I work particually hard.

As we have seen, it's a subject guided by many different opinions.

Your statement about their tax is true (although it boggles), but dear god, that could take us into a whole new argument of tax paying and government spending :pancake:

I wouldn't class it as getting paid for a "hobby" as a hobby is something we do in our spare time.

This is like getting paid for something you enjoy (not unsimilar to what you claimed tbf Lee)?

you think footballers didnt play in their spare time before they turned pro? ?(

I might have claimed it before, but that far far from true now Pete :)

Just to add, my issue doesn't just end with footballers, but all highly paid sports. That's the end from me, getting dizzy going round in circles :)

I wouldn't class it as getting paid for a "hobby" as a hobby is something we do in our spare time.

This is like getting paid for something you enjoy (not unsimilar to what you claimed tbf Lee)?

you think footballers didnt play in their spare time before they turned pro? ?(

I might have claimed it before, but that far far from true now Pete :)

Just to add, my issue doesn't just end with footballers, but all highly paid sports. That's the end from me, getting dizzy going round in circles :)

Footballers train and play way before they turn pro Lee, usually from a young age and losing what youth they have due to vigorous training sessions.

They do not get paid for all the years they take to become pro (very fine line if they even make it to paid football), this usually starts from a tender age, usually about 11-12 years old.

I would imagine growing up you will have enjoyed your youth before your chosen career.

I know a few footballers and it is a hard and often disappointing road.

They take a risk on their talent, if it pays off they enjoy a short but fruitful career, if they don't then this often leaves them with very little else in the employ-ability stakes.

getting dizzy going round in circles :)

Too true. I'll end it now before we all fall out LOL :pancake:

Original question.....DO WE THINK FOOTBALLERS GET PAID TOO MUCH?

Wayne Rooney and I think Van Persie also get paid by MUFC £250,000 a week. Thats £1,000,000 a month. No other side things, no advertising just working for manchester united.

FOR KICKING A FOOTBALL COMPETETIVELY SAY 9 HRS A MONTH WITH ANOTHER SAY 90 HRS PRACTICE.

Is that worth £1.000.000 a month?

If you think the answer is yes then your an idiot. A million a month should be for top surgeons who cure cancer e.t.c not for people having glorified extra long p.e. lessons with a game at the end of it.

In the words of Duncan Bannatine from Dragons den........IM OUT!

P.S to reply to Naylor comment about discrediting them on their wages in his 1st post.....Were not, were just saying its too much money, nothing against them personally.

Edited by lee grout