Footballers Wages

Naylor2006

getting dizzy going round in circles :)

Too true. I'll end it now before we all fall out LOL :pancake:

Original question.....DO WE THINK FOOTBALLERS GET PAID TOO MUCH?

Wayne Rooney and I think Van Persie also get paid by MUFC £250,000 a week. Thats £1,000,000 a month. No other side things, no advertising just working for manchester united.

FOR KICKING A FOOTBALL COMPETETIVELY SAY 9 HRS A MONTH WITH ANOTHER SAY 90 HRS PRACTICE.

Is that worth £1.000.000 a month?

If you think the answer is yes then your an idiot. A million a month should be for top surgeons who cure cancer e.t.c not for people having glorified extra long p.e. lessons with a game at the end of it.

In the words of Duncan Bannatine from Dragons den........IM OUT!

P.S to reply to Naylor comment about discrediting them on their wages in his 1st post.....Were not, were just saying its too much money, nothing against them personally.

Again Lee its not really the point, my original question wasnt that either specifically because the answer to that is most likely yes but I think there are plenty of ways of explaining it rather than just saying its stupid. Van Persie's wife got death threats when he joined United.....thats nice, imagine dealing with that when changing job.

Its not just kicking a football is it......you are helping and Im glad you posted because its the type of comments that youre making which wind me up to post about it. There is such pressure on their bodies these days they can hardly go out on the p1ss at the weekend, the best players who get paid the biggest money usually live a a extremely strict life, United players for example have a specific diet and gym they must keep too and they barely get any time off, and I mean real time off where they can do sh1t all, again it doesnt justify the money but I'm trying to get away from the anger that is due to its just kicking a ball and simular opinions.

You cannot compare surgeons etc to footballers, you might as well bring up the Olympics and say how ridiculous it is that they dont get paid at all strictly speaking. Its not a glorified P.E session. Football is in its own bubble, as the point was made earlier the money is relative to the income that they can bring to the club, or at least potentially.

Financial fair play is apparently coming in soon which should calm the situation somewhat.

good reply Naylor.

I won't ever accept they 'work'. I still mostly agree with Mr Grout.

Nice to have a meaty thread on Evo.

Would you say you did more 'work' than your average footballer?

I would say a footballer works far harder than me and I work as hard as I can, interesting concept and difficult to explain but I can only work as hard as the company and laws allow me to.

Edited by Naylor2006

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do find people's responses to this subject to be quite interesting and often ignorant to the reality.

There are only a relative handful of footballers that earn enough from their short careers to become comfortable for the rest of their lives. Once you get beyond the top 6 or 7 teams in the premiership wages aren't what you would think. Yes, you can still make a comfortable living that with the right investments can be made to see out a lifetime, but in a cut throat world where everyone wants their 10% and a poor patch of form can result in a quick drop down the divisions and a huge drop in wages.

A quick google highlighted a report in the Daily Mail (I know, but bear with me) that shows the average wage of a League 2 footballer isn't exactly megabucks, especially when you consider that reaching league 2 could be the top of a players abilities, so wouldn't be able to see out their time based on the earnings of a very short career.

I also don't agree on the 'well its their hobby' argument. Once upon a time it might have been, but it became their job and it becomes about earning a crust.

I read alot of football stuff, I came across a website called The Secret Footballer, for those of you with an open mind on this subject (and the stresses & strains of being a footballer in general), its quite an insight. But for those who have their opinion and aren't interested in taking anything else on board, don't waste your time clicking the link, you won't like what you can read.

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/

I do find people's responses to this subject to be quite interesting and often ignorant to the reality.

There are only a relative handful of footballers that earn enough from their short careers to become comfortable for the rest of their lives. Once you get beyond the top 6 or 7 teams in the premiership wages aren't what you would think. Yes, you can still make a comfortable living that with the right investments can be made to see out a lifetime, but in a cut throat world where everyone wants their 10% and a poor patch of form can result in a quick drop down the divisions and a huge drop in wages.

A quick google highlighted a report in the Daily Mail (I know, but bear with me) that shows the average wage of a League 2 footballer isn't exactly megabucks, especially when you consider that reaching league 2 could be the top of a players abilities, so wouldn't be able to see out their time based on the earnings of a very short career.

I also don't agree on the 'well its their hobby' argument. Once upon a time it might have been, but it became their job and it becomes about earning a crust.

I read alot of football stuff, I came across a website called The Secret Footballer, for those of you with an open mind on this subject (and the stresses & strains of being a footballer in general), its quite an insight. But for those who have their opinion and aren't interested in taking anything else on board, don't waste your time clicking the link, you won't like what you can read.

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/

Great post. Im aware of both those sites/articles.

The people that are ruining the game are the agents, plain and simple.

You can't blame the footballers, they're in it for themselves. It's the agents who are bleeding football dry. They know how much footballers are worth and play hard ball to ensure they get what they "deserve", as well as a massive cut for themselves. They play football clubs against each other and break the rules to ensure they get the most they can get their hands on.

Back in the day, when football was much purer, footballers would sign a new contract without even thinking because they loved the club.

The people that are ruining the game are the agents, plain and simple.

You can't blame the footballers, they're in it for themselves. It's the agents who are bleeding football dry. They know how much footballers are worth and play hard ball to ensure they get what they "deserve", as well as a massive cut for themselves. They play football clubs against each other and break the rules to ensure they get the most they can get their hands on.

Back in the day, when football was much purer, footballers would sign a new contract without even thinking because they loved the club.

When Sunderland signed Aberdeen captain Russell Anderson a few years ago, the player, who was on relatively modest wages (I.E. he will need to continue to work when he stops playing) gave his six-figure signing on fee to the Aberdeen youth development system that he himself graduated from.

Upon returning to Aberdeen after 4-and-a-half injury plagued years in English football, Russell signed a 2 year deal with the Dons while still returning from a long-term injury. He said he would tear up his contract and not take a penny from the club if he could not return to full fitness - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/footbal...tear-up-1114124

I think it's wrong to tar all players with the same brush.

Just wanted to add a comment for those people that say that footballers (or other sports people for this matter) get paid for doing there hobby.

my granddad used to say to me all the time "if you find something that you enjoy / have a passion for and you can find a way of getting paid for doing it, you will not have to "work" a day of your life"

that does not just work for sport, it works for everything, it could be car mechanics, car detailers, lock smiths, aslong as you enjoy it, your work would become apart of your way of living, so instead of looking at it as something you "have" to do it will become something you "want" to do.

Couldn't care less about what they earn. Having said that it does irk me somewhat forking out £30-£40 when I'm skint.

Years ago you never heard any one say "I cant afford to go this week"

I know quite a few who just cant afford to go anymore most of them ave kids.

Its not just the players wages tat caused the hike in prices over the last 10 15yrs but they have risen in line with players wages.

It never used to bother me that much, i always thought they were a little over paid, but i understand the reasons behind that.

Now however, as everyone is skint, and businesses left right and centre are going bust, i think its disgusting. I'm pretty sure all premier league (and a lot of other division) players wouldn't be affected if they missed a weeks pay, unlike half the nation, who's be screwed. So why don't they all give a week to the government, to help with this crappy situation everyone is in? I think it would do an awful lot for the public's perception, and they'd never notice the hit.

money has ruined football - nice and simple answer!

they all play for money and not the club!

the diving and drama queens on the pitch wind me up also!

Ill stick to the proper sport where it takes more than a touch to put me on the floor! - rugby!

He says with a Leicester city FOOTBALL club profile pic thingy :pancake: lol

at the end of the the day the owners of the club decide how much they want to invest in there "business" they must be making money from it some how . . .

the diving does Pee me off though