US school Massacre 28 dead

PeeWee

their gun laws have needed addressing from day one but now however I'm afraid there's likely no recovery, the problems regarding guns and gun related crime over there is one of a self perpetuating issue.

Any mention of placing heavier restrictions on gun ownership sees the delusional and mentally challenged "patriot" crowd leap to their feet with cries of "its our constitutional right to bear arms!!!".

sure..... ok..... its your "right".....

Its also your "right" to suffer the consequences of that very same "right to bear arms".

over and over you hear how "law abiding citizens" wish to retain the ability to own a firearm for personal protection.....protection from whom though?.... the armed criminals and nut jobs of course!, ironically though those same criminal element have likely came across their own firearms though the use of the very same law the "law abiding citizens" have, whether that be from walking into a gun store and buying a rifle off the shelf or simply stealing it from a registered keeper....makes no difference.

the be all and end all for me personally is....

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of innocent much to young lives but I have no sympathy whatsoever for the adults.

You live in a "democracy", apparently that gives every voice the right to be heard equally??, if they don't want to see their children and their children's children die pointlessly before their times then stand up yourself and shout the "patriot" crowd down till your voice can be heard.

Proportionally to the population I would think we have more shootings over here.

I'm not so sure, most shootings here will make the national tv or papers because of the shock to our culture, over in the states 1 person getting shot may only make city or state news. it's only these mass shootings that make national and international news. a short look on the net says the between 40-50 people a day are shot dead in the us.

They will never get rid of their guns or change the constitution, any presidential candidate wanting to will never win an election.

RIP to the 28 a needless sickening waste of young life.

Serious question - what are the legitimate reasons that you would allow gun ownership in a country?

Doesn't make sense to me.

it wasn't initially about legislation in yankland, as we all know from years of John Wayne movies, The yanks initial colonization of the America's required a high degree of personal protection for frontiersmen and the first trailblazers..... the the necessity for firearms in the general populace ended with the treaty signing between the settlers and natives, after that only people with particularly dangerous jobs required a firearm (hunters, explorers, frontier settlers etc).

Unfortunetly by that time the firearm had become a ingrained part of American society (ffs they even wrote it into their constitution) in general and as no one really took a strong legal stance on who could own and use one in the early years the danger persisted till today.....and now they continue to reap what they sow.

To more directly answer your question though, their isn't technically a legitimate reason to allow public gun ownership in any modern advanced society...... Unless Grizzly bears have a habit of wandering into your back garden and raiding your wheelie bin at night along with the badges and foxes there's just no need, Like I said before, the yanks are just stuck in their own indignant rotary argument that "its in the constitution"

whilst the yanks insist on allowing guns in their homes, they must accept the consequences. I am a father and this has really got to me, but the yanks answer to this situation is to arm the teachers - so bringing more guns into the equation. No civilised society should need to carry guns, that is what the countries army is for. they've had presidential assasinations, kids murdered and they still don't change the laws, why would this be the thing that changes everything (as sad as it is)

all you have to do is watch a episode of that "doomsday preppers" on discovery when the paranoid freaks are stood there teaching their 10yr old boys how to fit a full auto conversion kit to a civilian semi auto AR15 rifle (the civilian version of the M16 army issued rifle that can be bought over the counter) and then how to fire it at multiple targets on full auto and you start to think..... "why are they ever shocked when these mass murders take place?"

It infuriates me amost as much as the "man Vs food" programme............seriously........... why would anyone want to watch a fat useless cockdrop shovel food down his gullet on tele...............WHY?!?!?!?!

The various gun amnesty drives after UK killings worked quite well http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/3110949.stm

I can't see any US government being able to change the bill of rights, which basically allows the ownership of weapons.

I also find it odd that people think tougher gun laws may stop a lunatic doing something like this. Going out with the law to source a weapon would hardly be a big issue for them if they were intent on committing such an act anyway. Where there's a will, there's a way, and unfortunately I think this is something that will happen forevermore.

My other half looked up some stats on shootings yesterday, America doesn't even have the highest number of guns per capita, so I don't think that changing the gun laws will make a difference. As Sidrick says, its the nutjobs that are the problem.