Its time.........

• 1 month later...

Hi all new to the forum, read all of this thread as I have a van 55 d, and want to make some improvement s,

Tidy up the body, etc,

Very impressed with your van mate, looks exceptional.

A few questions, I've recently got gti side skirts, and searched this forum looking for a dummies guide to fitting em, how do I extend them,?

And then how do I fit them?, do I have to slide in under cill, there's fixing holes, and I've read about, fibre glass resin, tigerseal etc,

I'm a novice, but practically,

I may be punching above me weight, but want to learn which is why I'm here?

Welcome to Evo frankiemac.

Scottybo is right mate,although there is a geezer on ebay selling extended sideskirts ready to fit mk6 vans for £90ish iirc.

Good luck with all your plans for the van.What else are you planning for it?

Fitted the exhaust twin exit trim today ,then the van wouldn't turn off with the key.I think I am right by saying there is a valve by the fuel pump that can go t*ts up?Hope so or I may just scrap the whole van,flog the wheels etc and buy something else to tinker with. 

Regards Andy :thumb:

Thanks for replies people,

Cut, brace filler getting daunting, so at a guess,

Cut in half , fit to van, and then fill the gap that's left in the centre, I'm guessing the brace

Is to hold the filler so it can set,??

What filler do you use, Scotty?

Also on top of the gti skirts, there's a horizontal lip, looks like a fixing point, does this go under vehicle,

Then you fix upward into the metal above?

Andy, I'd be interested if you wanted to sell, its pucker van ,

Mine needs attention, bought 7 years back, engine good holds 90_95 on way to work everyday,on motorway, just a while getting there,

Surface rust, mainly a few scratches, get them out, change the bumper,

And general tidy up,

I'm needing a hobby as work, work,

So thought I'd try doing this..

Its not so hard mate.

All I did was cut about 30cm from the rear wheel,then offer both parts up to the van.

Then I braced it by screwing 3 lengths of wood,then fibreglassed over the gap ,and then P38 filler to get the finish required.

Its all about patience pal.

Then,I fixed it to the top of the door sill,where the fixing holes are, pop rivetted the underside, you can tiger seal the top edge,and a couple of self tappers at both wheelarches.Other members may have done it differently,but you can see my results.

As mentioned in the earlier postings,I just filled the jacking points at the front where the covers were missing with a cut down piece of ally pop rivetted and filled.

Good luck with it .

Gonna have a look to sort out the stopping issue today before going to work this afternoon.

Very annoyed as it coincides with the East Anglian derby!!!!!!Feck it.

Regards Andy.

PS.Photos make things look better than they actually are bud.................................................................................................................................................

but I like it :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

ts not so hard mate.

All I did was cut about 30cm from the rear wheel,then offer both parts up to the van.

Then I braced it by screwing 3 lengths of wood,then fibreglassed over the gap ,and then P38 filler to get the finish required.

So you create a pocket, to pack the fibreglass into with the wood braces, do I do all this out of position?

Apologies for the dumb questions,

What's the best fibre glass product to use?

Thanks for replies, people?

Not got the weather at the moment, to attempt all this so gaining info,

But I,all get some pics up in the next couple of days..

If it was me......

Cut them about a foot from the back of the skirt

Bolt both parts to the van

You will obvi have a gap in the middle

Fit your braces (use epoxy some plastic in there rather than wood)

Then get your fibreglass filler out and keep at it until its silky smooth

And how the hell do u get 90 out of your van. The wheazy old endura d had 60hp from factory!

I have a 55 van and 55s about the fastest it goes!

Thanks for the advice mate, yeah it hits 90 mate, and with all me tools and weight in the back

, holds 80 comfortably on a level road, but a slight gradient on motorway and it drops off,

Hopefully we get the weather next week, so I can get going,

The side skirts are in red, and will need to remove paint etc,

Was gonna start sanding with 80 grit, then a coat of primer, and then 2 coats diamond white, then clear,

Any better tips for preparation on fibre glass?

• 1 month later...