Spraying & paint - advice please!

luke83g

Must use air fed mask.

During 2010, I attended a Auto Paint refresher course; a UK health n Safety rep stated there are no filtered masks on the market that can be use sufficiently when spraying 2k paint.

It's recommended to use an air fed mask.

Initially, it was believed that atomised 2k paint in the atmosphere could enter the body through the eyes and causing health issues, but I don't think there's so much of an emphasis on that nowadays.

On one occasion when carrying out a spot repair outside, using a fine airbrush, as being outside, I thought I'd get away without the mask, however that night, I became very ill with flu like symptoms which developed into a very severe cough.

I eventually required hospital treatment and the use of an inhaler for 6 months.

The hospital believed the use of the paint caused my symptoms.

It may not seem so important now, until a health problem develops, by then it could be too late.

ok thanks a lot for that advice - really appreciate it! Good that I got the advice before doing the spraying!

So, I'm going to see if my mate with the spray equipment has an air fed mask. I suppose the mask gets air via the compressor as well as supplying the paint feed? If so where does the air pull from, does it pull the air from an external filtered source that you can position away from the paint vapours, or do you rely on the filters in the air fed mask to block the nasty stuff?

Cheeky but does anyone in the North West area on this forum have a mask set up I could borrow? At this rate I'm seriously considering buying spray cans and not risking my health if I cant get may hands on a decent mask.

You'll soon know when you have isocyonate poisoning, as said it is flu like symptoms but once in your system, if you don't use the correct air fed mask you'll be putting your health at serious risk.

You really need a devilbiss full face air fed, its a belt that you wear airline plugs into it and there's a shorter secondary airline on it that plugs into the spraygun. But the airline from the compressor should have a regulater fitted which cleans the air before it gets to the airfed mask. And even When your finished spraying dont be tempted to lift it up, we only lift our airfed mask once we are outside the spraybooth, as isocyanate vapour will still be in the spraybooth.

If you do get to borough a air fed mask then just ask them when was the last time the filer was changed in it. They have a small square window with a ph paper showing, when blue the filter is fine, but if the ph paper has changed to purple it needs changing.

Link below should inform you just how dangerous isocyanate actually are.

http://www.paintandpanel.com.au/archive/he...ers-should-know

Yeah, the compressor used with the mask can not pull the air from the same area the paint spraying takes place, otherwise the isocyanates will be fed into the mask.

You'll also require a 17cfm compressor or bigger to provide enough air for the mask and the gun to run together.

Or like I did, use two smaller compressors, one for paint and one for the mask but ensure the one for the mask is as far away as possible from the spray area; not an ideal solution but was best option for myself at the time.

Take a look at the YouTube link, he uses acrylic and 2k paint on a door, while wearing only a filtered Mask.

I've never knowingly used Acrylic paint but if it can be used without all the hassle of using an air fed mask, it's something I will consider using in the future.

Definately 2 pack. It was mixed 2 to 1. Paint and hardener/activator. with only a splash of thinners.

Are you sure it's the same 2 pack paint I'm thinking of and not the cellulose or acrylic paint you can buy nowadays? As I painted an old triumph spitfire bootlid in solid rover Delph blue, trust me when I say that's proper 2 pack paint as it clogged up my filters in my full face mask after spraying it! They were blue! And we had to leave it for 30 days as I don't have an oven as the paint was still soft! Even had to use three small infra reds on it from time to time!

I did spra this outside a few years ago, with goggles, a normal paint mask with filter and those thick chemical gloves, although I didnt get sick. Have I got off lucky.

The dangers associated with 2k paint is mainly due to daily and long term use.

It may not be so important now when fit and healthy but it's the type of illness that will cause breathing issue later in life.

It's just not worth the risk.

The precaution in regard to covering up; eyes, skin and hands, there's not so much of an emphasis on that now as 20/30yrs of industry use has proved the only real danger is inhalation, thus the air fed mask, but read the HSE recommendations, don't just take my word.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/bodyshop/isocyanates.htm

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asthma/vehicle.htm

From my own experience and becoming ill: a quick spot repair turned into a much longer job.

As I was using a airbrush and outside, I wore only a very basic face mask but I was much closer to the area I was painting; I guess I was inhaling more airborne particles than I realised.