Window regulator - rivets or bolts?

nullspace

Hiya... replacing two doors this weekend, and swapping electric window regulator etc over.

I know i need to drill out the rivets, but when putting them back on would it be best to re-rivet or use bolts instead?

I read somewhere its a lot easier with bolts. Any recommendations?

John

Have a closer look at the electric motor rubber mounts, inside the doors, in between the motor and the mounts.

Like yourself, I thought they were riveted but I'm sure I discovered that the existing rivets and rubber bushes remain fixed to the door and the motors can be unscrewed, the rubbers mounts rotate on the rivet.

I only realised after drilling out the rivets in one door.

I riveted back in using original bushes but I had to drill out the head of the old rivet to do so, think that's how I realised the motors can be unbolted.

Have a closer look at the electric motor rubber mounts, inside the doors, in between the motor and the mounts.

Like yourself, I thought they were riveted but I'm sure I discovered that the existing rivets and rubber bushes remain fixed to the door and the motors can be unscrewed, the rubbers mounts rotate on the rivet.

I only realised after drilling out the rivets in one door.

I riveted back in using original bushes but I had to drill out the head of the old rivet to do so, think that's how I realised the motors can be unbolted.

The problem is that on my replacement doors the rivets have already been drilled out. I did think that, however, and had a feel around to see if there was a screw between the motor and the door.

Someone on this forum, in an older thread, mentioned using M6 bolts instead of rivets. I'm eager to give that a go as it would much much easier i think. Just after peoples experiences if they've done something similar.

The rubber mounts are the screws and have a threaded shaft on one side which screws into the motor assembly.

If already drill out, you have no choice but use an alternative method.

It's easily re-attached using rivets but whether rivets or bolts, if using original rubber mounts, the old rivet will need removing from the mount.