zetec turbo converstion

dalelc16

It's a highly skilled trade. Amateurs can and do have a go with mixed results, many of which they don't understand.

I think I've bought ms ecus before from diyautotune and extraefi. Latter is UK based but communication and support was poor.

It's a highly skilled trade. Amateurs can and do have a go with mixed results, many of which they don't understand.

I think I've bought ms ecus before from diyautotune and extraefi. Latter is UK based but communication and support was poor.

bolting all the engine pieces together is the easy bit! i considered a cheap turbo build a little while back using a decomp plate (i know this is pushing the boundaries of reliability)

buying all the necessary parts isnt that expensive......but getting the right ecu and setting it up is where it gets really pricey

you could use an ofab loom and ecu, should be able to get hold of that set up along with the relevant sensors for £150, but you'll also need a custom chip (£250) and a live map to get the best out of it. apparently there are only a few people in the country who can map ofab so you're probably looking at another £500 for mapping.

Another option is to use the ofab loom and buy an ofam ecu (basically megasquirt in the ofab ecu case) so the loom will plug straight in. an ecu with a base map is about £400 but will probably cost less to map

Depends what power u want. Stu recently did a 'budget' thread buts its far from 'budget' lol

Engine - 100

rebuild with standard ford parts - 200 if done yourself

decomp plate - 50

Cvh turbo manifold - 25

Zetec to cvh manifold adapter - 35

Turbo - 100 second hand maybe depending which one u go for

Intercooler n piping - 200

Ho inlet - 70

frst throttle body - 70

Engine adapted - 200 - oil return feed. Spray jets. Baffle etc

ecu- 300

Mapping and setup - 500

Iv deffo missed loads of little bits and the prices are extremely rough. Based on a quick flick the ever faithful ebay

decomp plate is deffo the cheapest way to go but u will be limited on boost......and power

Ok so is it best to get a garage to fit and set up for the turbo.

Iv found most of the parts ect but no nothing about mega squirt?

you could build the engine at home (if you went with a decomp plate build, which is good for 250hp absolute maximum.....at a push) and fit it all to the car, you could even turn the key and get the engine to fire up.........however the ecu would NEED to be mapped by a pro to make the engine safe to use. ie. getting the fueling and ignition right

you might get it running on your drive but as soon as you give it some throttle it could all go bang and die

not that im telling you not to do it, definitely do it!

I dream of giving my gti some big boost :D :drool:

go for it!