Film 2014 With Sidrick (And Friends)

sidrick

Not been watching too much lately as I've been hammering through Dexter. Got a few waiting though :)

Watched Escape Plan a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.michaelthemaven.com/images/content/Escape-Plan1.jpg

Stallone is a professional security/prison consultant who is paid to be locked up and then try to escape to highlight flaws in high-tech prisons. He agrees to get locked up in a super-duper prison, but once there he finds that not all is as it seems. Inside he meets Arnie and the pair of them decide to work together to break the Fcuk out.

I was very impressed with this considering I found Bullet to the Head a big let down and The Last Stand a bit too ridiculous, if reasonable fun. Good performances from both action heroes and a very solid film. 8/10

Gonna check out Escape as soon as I can

American Hustle 9/10

I went into the film blind, having only seen the trailer (which gives NOTHING away). I loved the story, and the performances from everyone were excellent. This film will be mentioned when it comes to award time, so definitely check it out

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty 9/10

Went in with low expectations, and only really watched it because my mate fancied it last minute. One of the best "feel good" films I've seen in a very long time. Great soundtrack, and excellent cinematography - it's really nicely shot. The ending, while not massively unpredictable, left me with a smile on my face. Elements of adventure, romance, comedy, I think there is something for everyone.

Not been watching too much lately as I've been hammering through Dexter. Got a few waiting though :)

Watched Escape Plan a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.michaelthemaven.com/images/content/Escape-Plan1.jpg

Stallone is a professional security/prison consultant who is paid to be locked up and then try to escape to highlight flaws in high-tech prisons. He agrees to get locked up in a super-duper prison, but once there he finds that not all is as it seems. Inside he meets Arnie and the pair of them decide to work together to break the Fcuk out.

I was very impressed with this considering I found Bullet to the Head a big let down and The Last Stand a bit too ridiculous, if reasonable fun. Good performances from both action heroes and a very solid film. 8/10

aounds like a rehashed Brubaker?

then again even if it is I shouldn't be surprised that there's not any original concepts anymore, the Matrix was the last film I watched and thought "wow that was something new!"

Escape Plan

I hadn't heard of this until Sid's review and he made it sound quite good so i thought i'd give it a try.

Very enjoyable i thought. Kept a good pace all the way through and never found myself bored or wanting to hurry the story along, agree with what Sid said too.

8/10

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

I had seen one of the trailers for this film and i was quite interested to see what it was all about, but i thought if i watched the other trailers it might ruin the film or give too much away. Well i got around to watching it today and i liked it, a definite watch, very imaginative and creative.

Also Ben Stiller doesn't play one of his usual characters, he's actually very good in it i think.

7.8/10

12 Years A Slave

Every now and then, a great film pops up that just isn't for everyone. 12 Years A Slave is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. It is not typical "entertainment". It is a harrowing representation of a true story, and actual real life events. If you're a regular movie goer and are a fan of history, I would check this out.

I knew it would be a difficult watch, but I was surprised how emotionally invested I was in this.

Solomon, the lead character, and 'well off' family man is kidnapped and sold into slavery. The story is a pretty heartbreaking account of what he went through. There is violence, beatings, whippings, and rape. It is not whipping for whippings sake, but the level of violence is uncomfortable, despite that being a driver for the story. One particular scene is so bad that people around me were crying.

In terms of storytelling and emotional investment, its one of the best movie experiences I've had. Michael Fassbender's character is an absolute monster, and he is right to be in consideration for sporting role awards.

10/10

The Wolf of Wall Street

Excellent. A really interesting, sometimes 'animated' story of the Wall Street / stock broker career of Jordan Belfort. Leonardo DiCaprio is excellent in the lead role, and there are great performances from everyone else. I am really fascinated by these types of biographical films, so I was really excited for it.

The film is 3 hours long, but it NEVER dragged.. no scene ever felt like it had gone on for too long. Belfort is, in all sense of the word, an absolute vulture who would take the steam off your p*ss. The themes, whether its greed, obsession, power, whatever, all make for a very entertaining film.

9.5 / 10

It's been a great start to the year for films! I'm really looking forward to "Out of the Furnace", "Her", and "Inside Llewyn Davis"

Edited by Brown

Grudge Match

Pretty much as expected. Good clean fun with some really funny one-liners. Screen time nicely split between the two stars. It won't win any oscars but it's a good way to waste 90 minutes. The only moan I'd have is that physically, it's a pretty silly match up :roll: 8/10

American Hustle

Alright. Not nearly as clever as it tries to be. These kind of smart films with a twist have been about for years and have been done much better, so I can't understand why folk are going mad for this. Maybe just because of the cast?

Good performances all round but probably 10-15 minutes too long.

7/10

RED 2

After quite enjoying the first one i thought i'd give it a go.

Frank Moses (Bruce Willis) reunites his unlikely team of elite operatives for a global quest to track down a missing portable nuclear device.

Once again, humerous and good action, some over the top couldn't be done scenes but i don't think they detracted from it.

Solid 7.5/10