Amplifier

Jjosland

depends what your after sound wise really and of course your price range?

If your after heavy base (the type your neighbours frown at and sets off other peoples car alarms) then a unsophisticated Splx will do the job and are as cheap as anyone should go with amplifiers (just dont expect to notch performance at high end).

but if you chasing better sound allround then opt for something with less wattage but the same price range as the terribly oversized splx, the lower priced/lower wattage JBL's are excellent allrounders imho and dont rape your wallet generally.

theres a handful of sound guru types on here that could probably point you in a more precise direction in terms of a good amp to compliment your current audio setup.

• 4 months later...

Another question as I've never set an amp up before. A mate at work said I could just run the amp straight to my head unit? Is this a bad option? He has his to his components, but he also has 12 speakers in his car.

I just have my 5.25 fronts and 6x9s in the back.

Another question as I've never set an amp up before. A mate at work said I could just run the amp straight to my head unit? Is this a bad option? He has his to his components, but he also has 12 speakers in his car.

I just have my 5.25 fronts and 6x9s in the back.

Its the only option lol The Amp wires to the head unit via the RCA cables and a remote wire. If it didnt wire to the head unit, your music wouldnt get sent to an amp! You can either run 2 speakers on head unit and 2 on a 2 channel amp or buy a 4 channel amp and run the lot on that. Your able to set up the sound a bit better on an amp.......but unless you wanna blow the neighbours doors down there's nowt wrong with running them off the head unit!

You gonna add any more, like a sub? Or more speakers?

Edited by lee grout

Power lead to battery

switch lead to head unit

earth lead to metal

jack lead to the Pre-amp on head unit

done

If your not using a headunit that has a Pre-amp then spending money on a amp isnt really the way you should go,... a better HU is.

http://m.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-kenwood-kdc-w6041u_p-23186.htm

This is my head unit.

I may get an amp at some point and will probably replace my speakers but will stick to the 4 I think.

Well it does have a pre out so you can fit an amp but from the sounds of what your doing.....I wouldnt bother mate. Head unit is 4 x 50w so is decent enough to run your speakers. Unless your going proper stereo build for high db and sound quality.....its just money down the drain. Save the cash for something else  :thumb:

If your not using a headunit that has a Pre-amp then spending money on a amp isnt really the way you should go,... a better HU is.

i didnt think anyone would ask about amps if they didnt have a low watt output on the back