running high temps - 2nd opinions please...

Jacko_XR3i

Last weekend my head gasket went but I managed to catch it pretty early. Since then I've had the head skimmed and crack tested (everything ok) and rebuilt the engine with my uncle. We diagnosed the overheating as a nakared thermo after testing it and seeing it wouldn't open.... so basically I've replaced the thermostat with a spare I had after testing that. I've also replaced the temp gauge sensor as that was knakared. I've tested the fan and I know that it kicks in.

So... I've replaced the head gasket, thermostat and checked sensors etc and all seems well... however, I've ran the car for about 8 miles, taking it steady, and the temp gauge is consistently high. As in between the 'N' and the top of the gauge! The fans kicks in and brings the gauge back down to the 'N' but also the only other way of getting the temp down is to turn the fans on full wack!...

Would I be right in thinking now that my only other option would be the water pump??

All the pipes and rad heat up pretty quick and the last place to get hot is the expansion tank which makes me think the water isn't circulating, which eventually causes the overheating?

Forgot to mention I've spent most of my day letting the car idle with the expansion cap off, tapping and squeezing hoses to try and release any air locks. Drained the coolant and refilled. Is there another way to do it?

There doesn't seem to any pressure in the tank after running with cap on either so does this mean its pretty free of air in the system?

Agree to Stu. If you have the old one, you will notice that it will have a coloured ring somewhere, usually near the signal wire connector. Ensure that the new one is of the same colour, or else you have a different thermal range sensor. Does the rad fans kick in the same time they used to and run approximately the same time? Also.. it is good to avoid running the engine with the rad cap off. It is common practice to do it to take off air from the circulation, but since the radiator circuit is sealed normally, if you let the cap off you lower the boiling temp range, simple physics...

Thanks guys. Haven't had chance to check the sensor yet, however I ran the car out again today for literally only 10 minutes and the temp was right up high when I pulled up. Checked the expansion tank for pressure and there was minimal pressure, but I noticed that the coolant had dropped so I left a sheet of cardboard under the engine to see if there was any coolant leaking. Went back 2 hours later and found some drops underneath the waterpump area so I think I'll get the waterpump changed and then take it from there...

So, got the water pumped changed as there was a leak from there anyway. Ran the car upto temperature a few times but still wasn't satisfied with how fast the temp was rising so, changed the temp gauge sensor as suggested and now seems to be running all good! Not actually driven the car yet but we'll see later on today when I drive it back from my uncle's garage! Fingers crossed, I think it should be sorted now. Moral of my story, don't buy parts from euro car parts! (I failed to mention earlier that I had purchased a thermostat from there that also wouldn't fit)