Wheel spacing.

lee grout

use an old wheel nut, and hammer the studs out. probably easier if you can remove the hubs first mind lol then hammer the new ones in. people say they should be pressed in but hammer does the same job!

Ah the good old 'hammer technique! Do I need to remove the caliper from the bracket and/or remove any other gubbins? Inever done this before AT ALL so have NO idea!

How would you remove the hub without doing that?

Lee, you'd need to remove the hub and press them out. You might be able to do it with a substantial vice.

Where are you getting the longer studs from?

Just perusing the internet last night I found some from Burton Power. Says they're 14mm longer than normal (they are 63mm) I was gonna ring them and ask them. Do you know of anywhere I should be looking Sid?

I have longer studs fitted to my car, and on the rear also have rs2k set up, as i recall it required a large socket to take the hub nut off and i used a hammer no problem, i bought studs off ebay, a motorsport shop, think was 63 or 67mm, that was for with 3mm spacers on, I think the longer the stud the safer to make sure the nut stays on tight

• Like 1

I have longer studs fitted to my car, and on the rear also have rs2k set up, as i recall it required a large socket to take the hub nut off and i used a hammer no problem, i bought studs off ebay, a motorsport shop, think was 63 or 67mm, that was for with 3mm spacers on, I think the longer the stud the safer to make sure the nut stays on tight

Thanks JC

• 2 weeks later...

63mm I think on my van to accomodate thicker wolf-race wheels, used a nut screwed on to stud so that it was all flush and wallopped them with a club hammer, they came out with no protest at all!! lol!

To bash them back in with hammer was posing to be a bit more of a problem, so I think I tapped the new studs back through & lined the splines up & then used the nut technique,to pull the studs through, I may have reversed a socket & stuck it over the stud & then cranked up the nut to pull the stud through, so I didn't have to wind the nut all the way down the length of the stud..taking forever if you know what I mean?

Didn't have to take anything else apart, but still took a while. Also remember to use another hammer or something heavy behind the hub, supporting it so the force of the hammer blows only directs onto the stud, & the other hammer or weight will absorb rest of the force/shock from the hammer blows rather than all the other components connected to the hub, shock going down the driveshafts etc, etc