Radiator fan not kicking in

Jacko_XR3i

As the title, my fan hasn't been working for a while... I've checked all fuses, bridged the connection (and it works) tried another fuse box and changed the fan switch.

What else can I try?

Could it be an ecu problem?... reason I think it might be is because, I can't remember what I was doing at the time but

I had the fan switch disconnected whilst the car was running and I reconnected whilst the car was still running (pretty stupid i know), which resulted in a pop as the terminals met! It hasn't worked since!

Sounds like a break in the wire. It is it's own wiring loom that connects to the main loom for earth and power. They can get brittle so worth doing a continuity check as this is really the only thing it can be if the sensor is brand new. Have you tried bridging the contacts on the sensor plug

Yep and it kicks straight in when I turn it on. Thats why I'm confused and running out of options, im not entirely clued up on this I've only done what I've searched on forums etc so any more ideas would be muchly appreciated!

I suppose the next thing I could try is another sensor as im not sure if its a ford part thus not having the correct thermal range? I got it from a local motorfactors and the guy literally passed me a part over the counter without a box.

• 2 weeks later...

Set the meter to test for continuity and when the car comes up to temp. place the leads across the switch terminals and if you get a reading the switch is closed, and working,if not, it's open circuit and needs replacing.

The way you describe the fault I would say the switch is faulty.A further test you could do is place the sensor part in a pan of boiling water and repeat the above test.