Sensible

scottg17

Hi all, not been around much lately, traded the Ibiza in, went sensible, diesel, 50 to the gallon, happy! Far more refined than any car I've had :)

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x179/scottg17/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0743_zpsj3tmf1sm.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x179/scottg17/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0885_zpsyqxcfcet.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x179/scottg17/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0976_zpsn62g0qlc.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x179/scottg17/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0744_zpsfbtlkkvq.jpg

Edited by scottg17
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

My buddy is after a gt, recommend one? I'm trying to persuade him over a new polo, golf's are far nicer :)

Great cars mate, having driven both and owned an Ibiza (more or less a polo) the golf is folds above! Really silky smooth to drive (feels like you are driving something of better quality such as an A4 or something), enough power for safe overtaking, great torque on hand and mines only the 140bhp model. Only thing I'd really say about it is it could do with more toys.

Mines has 

Heated Leather seats with electric lumbar support (OE)

Manual climate control (just bog standard AC tbh)

Heated and electric mirrors 

Auto Dimming rear mirror (OE)

Traction Control

Cooled Glovebox 

4 electric windows 

Auto Headlights (OE)

Auto Wipers (OE)

A lot of things were optional extras. - marked mine (OE) above

Other options are

Multifunction Dash/Steering Wheel

Sat Nav

Climate Control

MDI Interface (ipod ect)

Xenons

Usually if you have heated leather seats you normally don't have climate control or the multifunction dash

Usually cars with cloth seats have the 2 mentioned above so must have been 2 separate packages when new - think mines is the winter package

Best advice is look around, find what options your mate is after and go with that.

Mines is lacking an AUX in solution but that'll soon be taken care of as my mate has just bought VAGCOM

Golf 1.4 GT Sport suffer splitting cylinder liners but still nice cars!

Golf GT Sport TDI 170 suffer injector issues and all come fitted with DPF filters which suck big time IMO 

Golf GT Sport TDI 140 don't suffer half as bad with injector issues and DPF filters only started phasing in on small numbers from 08 on (luckily mines hasn't got one!!)

I spent a lot of time researching what I was after but didn't want the headache of having to replace a DPF filter at 100k so.... and it kills the MPG, you'll see low 40's running about the doors and high 40's low 50's on a long easy run

My 140 minus the DPF usually sees 47mpg round the doors 18 milee round trip commute a day, and on a long run driving a steady 60/70 I once averaged 63mpg overall on a 140 mile trip

My recommendation would be a good low mileage 140 TDI - seems to be the good all rounder 

I got mine with 10 stamps in the book with only 35k on the clock at a good price. Service History is key!

Think i've rattled on enough about it but would give your mate a good idea if you can persuade him, defiantly recommend it over the polo  :thumb:

Edited by scottg17
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great cars mate, having driven both and owned an Ibiza (more or less a polo) the golf is folds above! Really silky smooth to drive (feels like you are driving something of better quality such as an A4 or something), enough power for safe overtaking, great torque on hand and mines only the 140bhp model. Only thing I'd really say about it is it could do with more toys.

Mines has 

Heated Leather seats with electric lumbar support (OE)

Manual climate control (just bog standard AC tbh)

Heated and electric mirrors 

Auto Dimming rear mirror (OE)

Traction Control

Cooled Glovebox 

4 electric windows 

Auto Headlights (OE)

Auto Wipers (OE)

A lot of things were optional extras. - marked mine (OE) above

Other options are

Multifunction Dash/Steering Wheel

Sat Nav

Climate Control

MDI Interface (ipod ect)

Xenons

Usually if you have heated leather seats you normally don't have climate control or the multifunction dash

Usually cars with cloth seats have the 2 mentioned above so must have been 2 separate packages when new - think mines is the winter package

Best advice is look around, find what options your mate is after and go with that.

Mines is lacking an AUX in solution but that'll soon be taken care of as my mate has just bought VAGCOM

Golf 1.4 GT Sport suffer splitting cylinder liners but still nice cars!

Golf GT Sport TDI 170 suffer injector issues and all come fitted with DPF filters which suck big time IMO 

Golf GT Sport TDI 140 don't suffer half as bad with injector issues and DPF filters only started phasing in on small numbers from 08 on (luckily mines hasn't got one!!)

I spent a lot of time researching what I was after but didn't want the headache of having to replace a DPF filter at 100k so.... and it kills the MPG, you'll see low 40's running about the doors and high 40's low 50's on a long easy run

My 140 minus the DPF usually sees 47mpg round the doors 18 milee round trip commute a day, and on a long run driving a steady 60/70 I once averaged 63mpg overall on a 140 mile trip

My recommendation would be a good low mileage 140 TDI - seems to be the good all rounder 

I got mine with 10 stamps in the book with only 35k on the clock at a good price. Service History is key!

Think i've rattled on enough about it but would give your mate a good idea if you can persuade him, defiantly recommend it over the polo  :thumb:

sounds like u got a nice one there then,I will show him ur pos, will help him alot I'm sure :-) he has found out about all the problems the polo gti has (quite a list) lol. He is actually going to veiw a 170 next week so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help :-)

• Like 1

sounds like u got a nice one there then,I will show him ur pos, will help him alot I'm sure :-) he has found out about all the problems the polo gti has (quite a list) lol. He is actually going to veiw a 170 next week so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help :-)

Nice did he go for it? I've not grown bored of mine yet, usually i'm changing cars all the time but I can see this one staying for the duration  :thumb: