NOT Running

David Vincent Stephens

hello just wanted some help I have blow up my engine so I got a new (second hand) engine I have replaced the engine I turn the key and it turns over but don't fire I have spark and fuel plus the timing is ok compression test the engine no compression

NEED HELP!

Id theres no compression i would say your timing is out before we go all doom and gloom saying the rings/valves are broken etc

if the engine turns over. You have fuel and spark. Then your timing is out. It is possible (depending on your cam locking tool) to time a zetec 180 degrees out. Luckily the valves will not hit the pistons

i know this because i did it when i used an old piece of bar i had kicking about as a can locking tool

the grooves for the tool on the camshaft are actually slightly off centre so you cant make my mistake if you use the right tool

Id theres no compression i would say your timing is out before we go all doom and gloom saying the rings/valves are broken etc

if the engine turns over. You have fuel and spark. Then your timing is out. It is possible (depending on your cam locking tool) to time a zetec 180 degrees out. Luckily the valves will not hit the pistons

i know this because i did it when i used an old piece of bar i had kicking about as a can locking tool

the grooves for the tool on the camshaft are actually slightly off centre so you cant make my mistake if you use the right tool

ok is tdc when the piston number one is at the highest point ?

zetec engines are the easiest engines to time up, theres a marking on the sump and you have to get the notch on the crank pulley to it and simply fit a 5mm flat bar to the camshafts at the coilpack end and fit the timing belt and get the tension pulley set right with the right tension on the belt and job done! well it sounds simple but that's the simplistic way of it

Yeah. Thats why using this "method" the last time my engine was timed after the water pump was changed, non of the shafts were where they must be and the car ran like crap in the lower revs +2ltr up in the consumption with light foot. When the crank was on position using dial gauge, the intake was somewhere around the "OK" term, the exhaust was so far retarded that a little more and the piston was gonna have a meeting with the gents. You can't time the car properly like that. These markings are to get the car running. There is also crank locking tool but even these may offset the crank by some degree. So degree wheel and dial gauge through the spark plug hole.