etrebus

Well got new tv but now want surround sound as I had before. My old tv had 5.1 system and connected to the tv with bare wires that clipped into terminals but the new tv didn't have them is there any way I can connect it to my new tv or do I have to buy a new system32 inch big backed CRT TV great picture and sound expensive when new could possible deliver if not too far cheers

yes old system connected to the tv but there are no connections for it on the new tvc so would need amp i think ,someone left a surround system on my doorstep (not a clue who left it ) but linked this up to the sky+ hd  box using the red and white rca leads worked  but not able to adjust the volume (no remote)and it wasn't proper surround sound just stereo  have since found out my new tv doesn't have a optical out only hdmi outputs/scart/usb/ i am thinking i might have to buy a new system but will it connect without the optical output?

I think it should  be ok with just the hdmi. My old surround sound/blu ray player stopped playing blu rays so i use it solely as surround sound for ANYTHING that the tv displays. However mine is connected via optical so you would have to have a play. As long as my surround sound displays 'D in 1' on its display, it will output sound from the tv, sky, new dvd/blu ray and any other device's I connect eg xbox. I dont know of any reason why yours wouldnt do the same even if it was connected with hdmi.

I found one that connects with Hdmi on eBay so might go for that if it's cheap at the moment I am watching tv through sky using the Hdmi connection and I had to select Hdmi 1 on the settings to be able to watch tv so what will happen if I connect a surround sound to Hdmi 2 ?

I found one that connects with Hdmi on eBay so might go for that if it's cheap at the moment I am watching tv through sky using the Hdmi connection and I had to select Hdmi 1 on the settings to be able to watch tv so what will happen if I connect a surround sound to Hdmi 2 ?

Depends on the system I think. Generally speaking its a separate channel so you could view something different if it was say, a surround sound/dvd player. However  

Mine has an option that allows it to produce sound for anything the tv is displaying, Be it sky or my xbox. IM NOT SURE  if this is because it's plugged in with an optical cable rather than hdmi. If I got time Ill plug a hdmi in and remove the optical cable and see what happens.

• Like 1

Ahhh whoops! Just got in! I had a word with my brother who used to work for Panasonic. The conclusion is that it probably wont work as you'd be watching 1 extension whilst wanting sound through a second extension. He said the only time it would work via hdmi is if the surround sound and tv are the same brand and the tv's hdmi ports are labelled (arc) which is sound return via the hdmi cable. 

I havnt had time yet to confirm it on mine but he said if you buy an amp, make sure its got several hdmi 'in' ports on the back. Wire all your devices to the amp then the hdmi 'out' into the tv. Then you can have surround sound on everything you watch.

• Like 1

lol i bought the one on e bay  it has a optical output  as well as hdmi and sky box has optical out will just have to try it was only £30 so worth a gamble they also said it was connected to a Panasonic tv  fingers crossed pick it up Thursday thanks for help

• Like 1