cam installation

ande

Hi, i have a 1.3 crossflow i am putting into a mk1 fiesta, i have 2 actually, one was a 1.3 bored out to +40 with a big valve head, steel rocker posts and shafts, roller rockers, kent bcf3 cam with adjustable cam sprocket, and another 1.3 bored out +60 with standard components, i want to fit the head, rocker assembly, cam and sprocket to the +60 block.  I put the cam in last night along with the adjustable sprocket, lined the marks up on the cam and crank sprockets and they dont look like they are perfectly lined up, i mean to all intents and purposes they are lined up, maybe it's my ocd playing up here but does it matter if they look ever so slightly off, or do they have to be microscopically lined up, first time i have delved into an engine so excuse my complete lack of understanding on the subject. I did think the adjustable sprocket was for that but it isn't is it, it's for moving your cam, i did originally think it was for fine tuning the lining up of the marks, which it isnt, so am i right in thinking that if these marks are facing each other, that's it? There isn't any way of moving the marks tiny fractions is there, because even 1 link either way will move them too far.

The timing marks are for setting the relationship between the cam and the crank, i use a dial gauge down the spark plug hole on no.1 to find tdc, ignoring the marks on the bottom pully completely. the adjustment on the cam pulley/sprocket is for adjusting the cam slightly when timing cam up, again using a dial gauge on the follower, if either valve is slightly compressed.

Dont know if this thread on another forum is of any help, its a very long time since I worked on a cross-flow engine (about 20 years at a guess)

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=141856