oil breather

Antony Mann

ive just found out I can take off the oil separator tank bit at the front of the zetec under the exhaust manifold and put a blanking plate over it and it will still run fine which gets rid of the crappy L shaped rubber hoses and the valve but what I don't know is where the other end of the hose goes too, and do I plug the other end or do I need to put a hose on to somewhere else? ive read bits where some people put in a catch tank for any water or oil , some just put a breather cone or just plumb it into the oil breather hose that goes into the air box? whats the best method and also is it worth it? does it make a lot of differene?

The other end of the crankcase breather hose is plumbed into the inlet manifold so that unburnt gasses that bypass the pistons get recycled.  I wouldn't advise blanking off the crankcase breather as it will lead to problems, even if they are not immediately apparent.

Burton have a good article in their catalogues and on their website.  I'd recommend giving that a read before changing the system in any way.

http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/engine-breather-system.html