idling like crap help

Antony Mann

im seriously stuck the car keeps cutting out when im taking it out of gear to stop or slow down, and the revs are bouncing when stood still and tries to die when reversing its getting stupid now, I was told its probably an air leak or one of the sensors, ive cleaned the idle valve the throttle body and efi inlet manifold and re gasketed them ive checked the air pipe and oil breather pipe to the air box ive replaced the rubber pipe on the back of the inlet manifold and now im kinda stuck 

• 2 months later...

have you checked the EGR , its more of an open valve on the petrols , had the same problem on a mondeo 1.8 zetec , and it was a hair line crack in the rubber air flow pipe to the egr , can cause it to run lumpy , and choke when hot , and you would normally over look it , as most egr breakdowns are on the diesels but can fail on the petrols too , also check throttle position sensor , they do get dirty an clogged up

• 1 month later...

Hi, Have you cheaked the PCV valve. Its a small metal valve on the right hand side of the exhaust which connect the oil breather to the intel manifold. 

I had the same problem and i was luck enought to have a whole spare car to swap senors and pipes with, which i did only to find out it was the PCV valve.

My car now runs sweet as a nut.