Middle Silencer

AdrianMole0

Basically what i need to know is have i lessened the compression in the engine.

However since i carried out this mod i have noticed fewer trips to the petrol station and fewer is the operative word here. I used to get 300miles to a full tank £34 quidish. Now i know a few out there go fill it up and broom broom but i have had no performance gain which i did nto expect from removing my middle silencer only the noise i wanted which is GREAT!!..

So answer me should removing the middle silencer reduce my fuel consumption?? i.e. get less miles to my tank

Thanks Adrian

Just to try and keep this thread alive please post i do want to hear you thoughts where is Stu when you need him he seems to have his hand in everything please comment will losing the middle silencer lower compression thus or not thus cause increased fuel consumption??

Thanks

Adrian

I dont think you would loose any pressure to be honest. But im nt very sure. I got a 5" exhaust on my 1.6 and it still drives he same as if it was the standerd pea shooter! Did u remove the middle section urself?? Wat u replace it wiv??

I had the middle silencer removed by a garage who welded a piece of stainless steel into the pipe it is a well nice piece of welding very clean and tight no air so keep posting please id love a definate answer.

The size of the pipe is 58mm with CAT and backbox magnex 4" round pipe no reducers nothing and the piece of pipe inserted is 62mm to go over the ends nicely.))

Also as a side not i tried to reset my ecu last night cant find any actual literature that this procedure exists can anyone point me to a link of any car manufacturer or fact sheet that actually recommends this procedure.

I did it last night for 30 mins no probs with the toad alarm or anything just watch out if u do decide to do it dont lock your car then shut the bonnet lid down cos you wont get any power when you click the aram to open the doors lol i narrowly missed that mistake.

I do generally think the car is responding better but as is often the case you do something to the car and the effects are in your head.

cmon guys where is stu i want yourt input bro help me out.

Adrian

i took the middle box out of my fiesta and had a 5" jap style exhaust and that still had good performance compared to the standard 1.3 fiesta, 4 strokes dont work on back pressure the idea is to get the gases out as quickly as possible so it would be worth getting a de-cat aswell that way, optimum performance is almost available. to get the very best performance results you will need a stainless steel system from the manifold which has a diameter of bout 2.5 inches, that way the engine can breathe alot easier and get the gases out twice as fast as it could with a standard pea shooter, hope that solves your problem?