Carbs or throttle bodies

BIG STU

been looking at possibilities of swapping my 1.6ltr Zetec for a 1.8 or 2 ltr. If i go ahead i might as well modify the engine. whats the pro and cons of fitting throttle bodies or carbs? what sort of price and gains would i be looking at?

my knowledge of engines is limited, so any advise/slagging is welcome

apparently 2.0ltr will run about 160-165BHP with twin carbs. remapped ecu and cams would further boost that.

to acheive a 2ltr transplant

I understand i would need 1.8 sump, oil pick up pipe, oil pump, water pump, altenator bracket, clutch and fly wheel, 1.6 cvh oil filter.

Mtx75 gearbox and linkage

Not much help but ....

I hear that carbs are worse fuel consumption and emissions and constantly need adjusting/tuning for best performance. I would also imagine that with carbs they suck up the hot engine bay air unless you get cold feed sorted.

At least with throttle bodies everything is done for you, you could also buy a larger throttle body for better intake and if you really want more you could get it bored. Fitting an induction kit to this will allow you a choice of where to put the filter and cold air feed to it.

(I've heard some people put them in wings so its well away from hot air - lol)

At least with throttle bodies everything is done for you, you could also buy a larger throttle body for better intake and if you really want more you could get it bored.  Fitting an induction kit to this will allow you a choice of where to put the filter and cold air feed to it.

(I've heard some people put them in wings so its well away from hot air - lol)

the throttle body goes in the bin along with thge whole airbox system when you have throttle bodies ;)

No air filters in sight, apart from the socks on the trumpets :thumb: