Speeding advert

Kirsty

saw it at the cinema yesterday, and to be honest i havent seen an advert that made me more sick to my stomach before

Taken from government website

The campaign will launch on 11 January with a new television execution featuring an eight year old girl talking directly to the audience and illustrating in a highly visual way the differences between hitting her whilst driving at 40mph versus hitting her at 30mph. The statistic has been taken from a report by Ashton and Mackay and has allowed for the difference between hitting a child at 30 and 40mph versus hitting an adult (more likely to be 90% chance of death when hit at 40mph).

Link to speeding advert - (.mpg - 3,325kb)

The 40 mph crash

The injuries sustained by the child after the 40mph crash are as follows:

A fractured pelvis (though this is not visible) and radius and ulna bones (lower arm) along with a skull fracture (base).

Prior to the beginning of the film, the girl, 8 years old (120-130 cms, weighing 55 pounds), ran out into the road, the car (a Ford Fiesta) driving at 40mph in a 30mph speed zone, has hit her at 40mph. She has been hit initially on the pelvis. Her pelvis hasbroken. Having been hit initially in the pelvis she has been thrown approximately 28m from the car, and has fallen to the ground onto her arm initially, with her head hitting the road next, causing her skull to be fractured (hence the trickle of blood from the ear, and the blood in the hair). She has grazes on the side of her face (on her cheeks and temple) from where she has slid along the road. She has then been placed at the side of the road after being pronounced dead which is where the film begins.

The 30mph crash

As the commercial goes on, the effects of the 40 crash recede and the body moves into the middle of the road to illustrate the difference in effect between being hit at 40mph versus 30mph. What you actually see are the bones going back into place (the arm), the wound on the head heals itself, and the scrapes recede.

In this scenario the girl, 8 years old (120-130 cms, weighing 55 pounds), has run out into the road, the car (a Ford Fiesta) driving at 30mph in a 30mph speed zone, having not seen her jump out has hit her at 30mph. She has been hit initially on the pelvis. Her pelvis is bruised. Having been hit initially in the pelvis she is thrown approximately 16 metres and falls onto her side, fracturing her arm (though it would not look distorted). She then hits her head, but not so hard as to concuss her. In this scenario she survives, taking a deep breath in as the commercial ends.

If you hit an adult pedestrian while driving at 30mph, the survival chance is 80%. But if you hit a pedestrian while driving at 40mph, the pedestrian's chances of dying rises to 90%. (this lowers to 80% for a child).

Just over half (58%) of drivers break the 30mph speed limit.

Link to website where I found the information

Discuss :)

personally, i think its disgusting but its not going to make much difference to whether people speed or not. i was more disgusted to the fact that her bones were unbraking and the sound made me feel rather sick!

Edited by Kirsty

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this scenario the girl, 8 years old (120-130 cms, weighing 55 pounds), has run out into the road, the car (a Ford Fiesta) driving at 30mph in a 30mph speed zone, having not seen her jump out has hit her at 30mph.

there's the answer to all this, SHE ran out into the road, always the car driver that gets the blame and the roads called dangerous, the cars said to be designed 'not pedrestrian friendly', well why they be, why do people step out into the road, the road is the road, the road is for cars :nutter:

People should use crossing, parents should be with small children, children should be tought to use crossings or how to cross a road propely.

surely you must have run out in the road at least once when you were a kid ross? i know i did. but as my mate just said to me, it is funny that deaths and injuries to children rise after the think, stop, listen campaign has finished X(

IMO all this advert is there to show us is that the speed limit is there for a reason

people are ALWAYS going to run out in the road, adults still do, its just the way it is. the advert is not just about the child. its about the fact that this will happen to anyone if they are hit above the speed limit. the child is used to provide a more hard hitting advert where people take more notice because the child is more vulnerable than an adult

Edited by Kirsty

surely you must have run out in the road at least once when you were a kid ross? i know i did. but as my mate just said to me, it is funny that deaths and injuries to children rise after the think, stop, listen campaign has finished X(

I cant 'remember' that I did, and my little 'un certainly hasnt. Isnt it fcuking madness to not carry them, hold their hand tight or have em on reigns near busy roads? ?(

so you are going to hold her hand forever? throughout her whole life so she NEVER runs out in the road? regardless of the road situation?

yes, untill shes at the age where she has the intelligence to know not to do it :) :thumb:

I may be over protective, but shes priceless to me, like a child should be to any parent :thumb:

can't say i remember like Lee, i had parents that were never more than a few feet away when crossing a road as a toddler/small child then tought to look right then left then right again before crossing a road.

people are ALWAYS going to run out in the road, adults still do, its just the way it is. the advert is not just about the child. its about the fact that this will happen to anyone if they are hit above the speed limit. the child is used to provide a more hard hitting advert where people take more notice because the child is more vulnerable than an adult

Adults should have more fecking intelligence :nutter:

I popped out earlier n at the top of my road to the right is a pedestrian crossing so what do i see to the left??? I man with a kid on his shoulders running across 3 lanes of traffic :vangry: :vangry: :vangry: :vangry: :vangry:

I popped out earlier n at the top of my road to the right is a pedestrian crossing so what do i see to the left??? I man with a kid on his shoulders running across 3 lanes of traffic  :vangry:  :vangry:  :vangry:  :vangry:  :vangry:

that does Pee me off when people do that, theres a crossing like 10 feet away and they dont use it X( makes no sense, i always use the crossings,

I cant 'remember' that I did, and my little 'un certainly hasnt. Isnt it fcuking madness to not carry them, hold their hand tight or have em on reigns near busy roads? ?(

Think the little girl in the advert was a little big for wearing reigns, although still young enough to have been supervised walking to school in my opinion.

Its not usually the young kids that run in the roads around near me, its the older ones playing chicken or just not looking before crossing, thinking they are invincible.