Advice please peeps!!

rater

Hi guys, just a quick bit of advice if you would please :D

Just had my car MOT'd (it passed) and the tester advised me that the CAT on my 1.6 1995 Zetec is disintegrating :eek: Now i really want to get this sorted before i go on a long journey at the end of March as it seems to be rattling quite worryingly now. Would would you guys suggest? I have a couple of options.

Firstly, i can just replace the standard CAT (prices are around the £150 - £200 mark from what i've been told, although let me know if i'm wrong!) and keep everything as it is.

Secondly, I can upgrade to a sports system now (was going to be planning this at some time anyway) and be done with it. Problem is i don't really wanna spend much more than about the £250 mark so not really sure of the possibilities. Should i just go with a sports CAT? Or is it best to go for a fully decat system? Only problem with the last option is having to replace the buggered up CAT for each MOT, so i may have to pay for the sports sytem AND a normal CAT for my MOT's.

Choices choices eh!! Any advice please, cos i'm really really confooosed lol!!!

:tired:

Ok, so i assume with the Powerflow i can choose between having the CAT removed or keeping it there. Hmmm, well the CAT i have is destroying itself lol, so its gonna have to go anyway! So you think it may be worth going for the full decat, and just looking for a cat at the scrappy? Are they usually plentiful? Also, are they hard to replace when it comes to MOT time?

Cheers for the advice guys, got a quote today from Top Gear at £300 for a Powerflow CatBack system. Do you think there's any chance of reducing this at all? Maybe with a different make?

Different makes you may get for around £250, but then there's fitting involved. Plus they have to be done by an approved centre if you want any kind of warranty.

Only thing I'd suggest is to phone around all your nearby P/flow dealers :cheers:

Regarding power increases on the website, a de-cat will not give hardly any gain on it's own.

O right I see. Well done some looking around and it seems a replacement CAT i can get for around £117, so not as much as i had originally though. Although i still want that nice performance sound lol! Me thinks maybe a backbox alone would be what i want at the moment? What do you reckon?

Me thinks maybe a backbox alone would be what i want  at the moment? What do you reckon?

If you're only after a nice sound, then a good open back box would be you're best option imo :cheers:

A friend of mine had a loud p/flow back box on his car and it was about as loud as my centrebox-less full system!

Lol maybe that'll sort me out then. Is £120ish about right for a CAT or does that sound too cheap? I was under the impression that they would be quite a bit more.

depends where it is! if its under the car then 120 is too much, if its the chunky B*stard in front of the rad in the manifold then 120 is cheap!

Hi, yeah its def under the car because i can hear and feel the rattle right underneath my feet lol!! So you think that £120 is too much to replace this?! That was quoted to me by Top Gear. Anywhere you'd recommend getting one cheaper, apart from that site listed above? Do you think it'd be worth checking out my local Kwikfit or other local garage?

Hi, yeah its def under the car because i can hear and feel the rattle right underneath my feet lol!! So you think that £120 is too much to replace this?! That was quoted to me by Top Gear. Anywhere you'd recommend getting one cheaper, apart from that site listed above? Do you think it'd be worth checking out my local Kwikfit or other local garage?

ah thought you were just on about supplied not fitted too, probably aint too bad then but still phone around if i was you, see if anyone can do it cheaper

Right just had a quote from topgear for the cat (£117) and the back box (£69). somehow they worked out that in total and including fitting it would come to £340 :O i told them no thanks ;)

Sooooo back the original question really, what's the cheapest full system you can really get (i'm not a tight budget!!). i was looking at the peco alu-steel range and the magnex systems which look reasonable, but any advice or views on cheaper makes? Also, if anyone knows any local fitters that they would trust (i know some of you are from the northampton area) i'd appreciate it :D:D:D