Removing The EGR System

Brian

Exhuast gas recirculation system mate. basiclly, one little prob that goes into each exhuast port then feeds into a small box infront of engine. rip it all out, block up the little holes on the manifold and away you go. i recon it gave mine at least a good 5-7bhp, pulls so much stronger now.

Anyone no any more on this???

Brian

no mate, didnt get pics when the engine was in bits i dont think, let me go check.......

i not got any of the inside of the manifold but it looks the same as the RS2k one does.......

here what i have got, look at the manifold, then the silver pipes that go along the top and to the top of the black box, it then goes somewhere else but i cant for the lift of me remember without lookin and its freezin outside ;)

Engine18.jpg

DSCF1107.jpg

Edited by marcus

my car doesnt have aircon and there are tubes which go from the manifold (exhaust gasses are sucked into these pipes, as a vaccum hose is attached to the black box), the exhaust gasses are then passed back into the engine somewhere, i cant remember where though. deffo not aircon pipes

Those tubes are the air pulse system, the reason you can remove them and still pass your mot/nct is the system only works when the car is warming up. Once normal operating temperture is achieved the sysrem shuts off and is not needed. Brian is right however it does strangle some power I believe about 5bhp on the 2.0 zetec. Below you can see the system on a 2.0 mondy engine, the single tube coming from the bottom right side of the manifold and running to the rear of the engine is the EGR pipe.

Pictures017.jpg

Below you can see the same engine(cleaned up) with the air pulse system removed and blocked off, and the EGR pipe still there but painted black.

Pictures058.jpg

apart from block9ing up the holes do yopu just litterally rip it out. what about any ohter wires etc?

If you look at the picture of the air pulse system in place you can see a square shaped box at the bottom of the two tubes there's a vacuum tube that runs from this back to the pulse air solenoid, remove the tubing as far as this then tape up where the tube connects to the solenoid.

The holes can be a pain to block up because there a strange tread size, you can get a Air pulse removal kit again wrongly labeled EGR removal kit consisting of 4 bolts to do the job. I cut the nuts off the air pulse system with a hacksaw and welded up the middle. Your choice at the end of the day. :thumb:

• 7 months later...