whats the law

matt1295

Dude I checked up on this a few days ago.

Apparently Blue is well illegal coz its the colour of emergency services however other colours technically aren't illegal.

Its at the policemans discresion, whether he wants to do anything about it.

So slam on dem greenies!!!!

Or just switch them off or yank out the cig. lighter plug wen u see the old bill.

Hope that helps matey!

x

zeb! :thumb:

I was told by a police dude (a mate who's a police officer-I don't have neons outside the car)- that the law is... :tired:

A car can have neons on at any time, if the neon tube is out not visible. So for example, say you had neons on and ya had side skirts on and ya couldn't see the tubes but obviously the neon still shone that apparently is alright. Oh ye and they can't flash. :D

But if the tubes can be seen then it's illegal.

Anyway mate, why do ya wana put neons on- do ya drive a saxo. :nutter:

quote! :D

The 1989 Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations cover the whole issue of vehicle lighting. In short, the regulations state that there should only be certain light emissions that apply to certain external areas of a car. For example it states that constant light beams must be clear at the front of a road vehicle (with the exception of the indicators) and red at the rear (Again with the exception of the indicators).

Blue is also associated with emergency vehicles and is therefore illegal for use on the public highway.

Extreme caution should be used if displaying your glow on a public high way - it is illegal if a bulb is visible.

As the law stands, colours other than blue are technically legal for use on the public highway, as long only a glow is visible and not the actual bulb itself. Our advice would be to use your common sense on the issue and make informed decisions from your own experience and others around you.

this is why i argue with mister police man, they are not ilegal as long as they aren't blue and you stick to the law, which i do!! :thumb:

I was told by a police dude (a mate who's a police officer-I don't have neons outside the car)- that the law is...  :tired:

A car can have neons on at any time, if the neon tube is out not visible. So for example, say you had neons on and ya had side skirts on and ya couldn't see the tubes but obviously the neon still shone that apparently is alright. Oh ye and they can't flash.  :D

what a load of shite, as Rach correctly states along with everyone else that has posted, THEY'RE ILLEGAL if they're on, full stop.

:P ....Not so Ross, i had a long discussion with a very nice motorway patrolman.He stated that if fitted correctly neons are NOT illegal.The source of light(ie neon tube) must NOT be visable from any angle no matter what colour they are, so you are only seeing the glow from the neon.

He said the vast majority of police do not know the facts themselves.............and certainly don't like to be told the facts, hence why they get heavy handed and demand you swich them off.

Personally i hate the bloody things and the owner should be shot! ;)

I was told by a police dude (a mate who's a police officer-I don't have neons outside the car)- that the law is...  :tired:

A car can have neons on at any time, if the neon tube is out not visible. So for example, say you had neons on and ya had side skirts on and ya couldn't see the tubes but obviously the neon still shone that apparently is alright. Oh ye and they can't flash.  :D

correct :thumb: